Vintage Fan

As much as I admire vintage hand pieced quilts; for the patience and time that was put into it, this one is a mess. My mother-in-law gave me some quilts and blocks a while back that her mom had done. This one is her favorite and she wanted me to quilt it for her.  So today, I dug it out of storage and laid it out to see what I was up against. This thing has more puckers and waves than a beauty pageant. :unsure: I think I'll just crack a bottle of Moscato and let it rip.

10894938824_96cb568de8.jpg
Untitled by jandcembroidery, on Flickr

James, good luck with your fan quilt.  Don't you know you can just quilt out all those puckers and waves!  LOL  That's what my customers think anyway.  I would try to starch and steam it before you even put it on the frame.  I'm sure someone else with more experience will chime in here with more help for you.  Seriously, good luck!

Ooh James, I envy you with this quilt top!!! I just took classes with Linda Taylor at Houston, and one of those classes was different quilting designs on a vintage fan quilt top! If you get the chance to see a photo of it, it may assist you in how you'll be able to treat the "friendliness" in the quilt top you have.

I can't wait to see what you do with this one. :)

:blush: Everyone eagerly awaiting my results....from someone that's only done pantos :blush:

Linda - Wool? I'll be lucky if I can find cotton. The only local store we have is Hobby Lobby and Wal-Mart. I'm not sure they offer other than loft. I do have a 60 yard roll of Hobbs Poly that I brought with me from Texas.

Julie - I envy you. Traveling all the way from Australia to attend the Houston Quilt show and take classes? I lived hours away from Houston and never had the opportunity to attend due to my career. I'm no Linda Taylor but I'll give it my best. ;)

Vicki - Like you said "what else can be said" :blush:

James, it will be fine, I have posted one vintage quilt yours that I quilted last year, not only was it full of problems, the sides were all different sizes. I use wool & quilted baptist fan to conquer the waves & fullness. Your Hobbs poly should be ok also, just prepare little thin layers of extra battings to stuff those C cups. You will be surprised how beautiful that quilt is going to be.

I have no local outlet for the "good" battings either.  I only have Wal Mart and the nearest JoAnns is 60 miles away.   I don't care for batting from either place anyway.     I order from online sources and it is usually here within a week or so...........Quilted Memories is a good source for Hobbs..........Quilt bug.com for the "dream" battings..........I've also ordered from Hancocks of Paducah.   I usually buy my batting in rolls rather than packages unless I only need enough for 1 quilt.   Good luck !

• 1 month later...

......well as usual I cracked under pressure and couldn't bring myself to try custom. I wish I would have tried my boomerang template. I guess I just need to play with blank fabric and try to get comfortable doing free-hand designs.

I'm not happy but of course my DW likes it. She wouldn't tell me any different.

I just ordered the M&M wheels today; hoping that will smooth up some of my curves. 

11673132406_4ff5b9f9f9_n.jpg

11672353185_3c3f8fbed6_n.jpg

James,

The quilt is fine.  Quilted and used is better than wadded/folded up in a drawer or closet.  Do take into consideration all of the advice for buying batting online.  It's worth it not to have to make do with batts that may be fine for hand quilting but not fine for longarming.

Lynn

P.S. Happy New Year

Great finish that lets this treasure emerge from the shadows and be loved as it should be! It's wonderful!

(psst! James! Over here. Let me share a secret about "custom". It'll be just between you and me. Ignore those people over there. Custom is regular quilting. Yep! Just regular old stitching like all of us do. The secret is repetition. Huh? What do you mean, repetition? You master an element. You stitch loops or stippling or curls or CC's. You do that by repetition--I know--duh! Then when you have a smooth line, graceful shapes, and consistent sizes of elements, you repeat them on the quilt top. There's that word again! You can fill a sampler quilt, a fan quilt, a log cabin, whatever---with the same repeated shapes and suddenly it's "custom". You can fill a space with a nice stipple and if you go back and ribbon it--that's custom. You can stitch curls within the same space and a consistent spacing will show beautiful texture---and that's custom. Outlining is custom--and that takes control which comes from (urp) practice. And that comes with repetition. Boring practice will then thrill you with gorgeous stitching. Stitching pantos is great practice for custom. You master smooth curves, staying on the line (think stencils and freehand marking up front) and lets you bond with your machine. You're on your way to "custom" and didn't know it! ;) )

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

James, I think you did an awesome job!!

You have breathed life into this quilt top and now it can actually be used as a quilt, for which it was originally purposed to be. Because of you, this vintage quilt top will be preserved for many more years to come. What an heirloom to pass on to the next generation! :)

Great finish that lets this treasure emerge from the shadows and be loved as it should be! It's wonderful!

(psst! James! Over here. Let me share a secret about "custom". It'll be just between you and me. Ignore those people over there. Custom is regular quilting. Yep! Just regular old stitching like all of us do. The secret is repetition. Huh? What do you mean, repetition? You master an element. You stitch loops or stippling or curls or CC's. You do that by repetition--I know--duh! Then when you have a smooth line, graceful shapes, and consistent sizes of elements, you repeat them on the quilt top. There's that word again! You can fill a sampler quilt, a fan quilt, a log cabin, whatever---with the same repeated shapes and suddenly it's "custom". You can fill a space with a nice stipple and if you go back and ribbon it--that's custom. You can stitch curls within the same space and a consistent spacing will show beautiful texture---and that's custom. Outlining is custom--and that takes control which comes from (urp) practice. And that comes with repetition. Boring practice will then thrill you with gorgeous stitching. Stitching pantos is great practice for custom. You master smooth curves, staying on the line (think stencils and freehand marking up front) and lets you bond with your machine. You're on your way to "custom" and didn't know it! ;) )

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

:huh: :huh:  :huh: that's easy for you to say..... :lol:

James and Carrie, any newbie.

Check Jamie Wallen on You Tube, Face Book or his site,

which you can find  just by typing his name in the search box.

He gives such tremendous information, and shows you how,

just such a thorough teacher.. and  a wonderful man.

I even use newspapers, and old phone books.. any scrap  paper

And Jamie suggests those thin line Sharpies.. They work great.

if short on paper, use 2 or 3 different color sharpies, using lightest

first and getting darker as you go.

Rita

Archived