Has anyone tried to design your own quilting design using the Design and Create portion of Quilt Path? I am trying to create a simple design. Instructions in the Help file are woefully inadequate. I have found a more detailed Help file posted by Grace Co, but the buttons & features are not the same as those in the QP PatternCAD. Grrrrr

I have designed a simple pattern by digitizing a circle with a triangle in the middle. I also designed a fish from using the sewing head to trace the piecing on a quilt. The circle and triangle was easier than the digitizing of the fish. What What specifically are you designing?

I'm trying to create a simple cable design with 4 repeats. I've gotten as far as creating one using arcs & figured out how to reverse the stitching at the end, but it wants to stitch the tops of all four and then the bottoms- and they don't quite meet in the centers. I tried using a spline line, but "select all" for editing ruins the figure-8 stitching pattern that I'm hoping to create. I've spent hours on this today and am giving up in favor of dinner. 

I'll experiment with the merging idea. Thank you for the suggestion.

Scan, measure or photograph your quilt block or area. Bring it up on screen and trace it so you have the shape. Use tools to put that in the back layer (Swap). Add parts of pattern in the order that you want it to sew. Delete the original area that is the background. Save and Optomize pattern. Test.

Karen,

Thanks for the merge idea.  I was able to create rope using it. I have not played with cables but they would work the same way.   I am doing it with my mouse on my laptop.  I think it would look better if I did it with my stylus.   

Between that and creating egg and dart tonight it has been a fun Quilt Path evening.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

post-3439-0-05924600-1386320260_thumb.jpg

Just used the distort a few different ways and skew on the Pipeline.gpf that came with QP and is continuous.  I made sure the start and end nodes were on the same plane and saved them, so I had several versions (tall, short and distorted).  Then was able to layout a complete 40x40" quilt with it and get it to simulate stitching it.  I wanted it to go back and forth in a zig zag fashion so the head could travel less.  So I did an Optimize and then Auto Reverse and then Reverse All.  It ran and did just what I wanted. So I save those quilts for trying later.

It was fun to try some simple geometric patterns and play.

Archived