Too much oil on needle shaft

LisaK

Sounds like George has been drinking too much.  Keep wiping it down.  You could take off the backside cover and give the insides a good wipe down too.  ( I assume George is very similar to our Moving machines in construction).

If George has oils wicks on the top of his head, they do not need to be oiled until they are dry to touch.

• 2 weeks later...

My George is snuggled up next to a wall.  I quilted several long table runners for a friend and learned to cover up the oil wick on the back of the machine with a bandaid, or to pull the table away from the wall when quilting something that might bunch up behind the head.  I found oil spots on the project after completion. 

Good advice from Vicki.  I always remove a quilt from my George overnight to prevent any oil transfer.  Also…probably not an issue in Northern Michigan but since I sew with a magnifying glass clamped to the George table, I make sure that the magnifier is not refracting light onto the quilt top when I'm not working.  I've never heard of anyone setting their quilt on fire this way ;-)  but the strength of the sun in Arizona makes for a real risk of fading the fabric.

Archived