Tension Issues

I've been having weird tension issues.  My tension is fine for 20-40 stitches and then will give me a 4-8 stitch patch where it is a bit loose on the top and tight on the bottom.  I have tried loosening the bobbin, tightening the bobbin, loosening the top, tightening the top.  I've rethreaded the machine, checked for lint/thread build up in bobbin area, changed the needle, changed the bobbin, changed the bobbin case, have the batting above the cone, turned the cone upside down and I cannot find an answer!  I am using CAN-SEW polyester thread and Dream cotton batting. 4 hours yesterday and I am no closer than i was when I started!  Any ideas out there?

Thanks so much!

post-40546-0-47741300-1385738480_thumb.jpg

There was a thread to follow, just a couple days ago, addressed much the same problem, also.

Other than that thread and Shirley's reply, I can't add a thing.   Will check for the link or thread.

Rita

The Thread title is:

"What causes this?"

Here it is.  It doesn't matter much the model of machine you have, the tension issues are all

fixed in the same way.  Patience, checking each thing, and making sure there are no burrs, snags, pulling niches, etc. 

You will get it, it just takes a bit of time.  If all else fails, order a new top tension assembly and that should fix it.

Also simple but can be so important, take the thread totally out of the machine and rethread it.  Sometimes that seems to be all that it needs. 

When in doubt, turn the little pigtails, or anything else you can turn over in the threading guides, and see if that helps.  I use a small piece of yarn, baby type synthetic, to check for snags..  Be sure to slide it thru with a bit of tension on all places in the guide.. not just where the thread usually went thru.

Also if you have screw or bolt heads sticking out, check them with a bit of batting and see if they snag.  If they do, file them down a bit.  LOL, I use a fingernail file.  Seems to work best, and it's the fine, but far from the finest grit.  Check with yarn for any remaining burrs.

Good luck, you can do it.  Most of us have had tension issues at one time or another.

Rita

Thanks for letting us know, Heather.   One more question,   is your bobbin wound real tight.  If it was wound on the Side Winder, I'd suggest a much more

costly accessory, but wonderful for winding even and tight bobbins, that is the Turbo Winder.  It does the job it is to do.

Prewounds are terrific, also..

Rita

Archived