Piecing thread

Hi Quilty friends...

I've been piecing with SoFine thread fir some time and lately have not been thrilled with it.

So, I was wanting to try something new and I got a cone of aurifil at Vermont Quilt Fest.

It's delicious...but so expensive.

Anyone tried the Cairo Quilt from Bobbin Central?

I'm thinking of giving that a go and wanted to avoid a mistake if possible.

I use either a Bernina 440 or 153 for my piecing.

Any input is most appreciated

EDIT...I ordered the Aurifil on the large cones and its been running like a hot knife through butter ever since. I'm a convert! Worth the extra $.

I have been using Aurifil for more than ten years for piecing.  It is great thread and I won't use anything else.  It has increased in price over the years but it is still less expensive that a lot of the threads out there.

Here are a couple of sources that I have used in the past.

http://www.sewezdesigns.com/Aurifil1.html

http://www.tristan.bc.ca/cart/home.php?cat=27&sort=orderby&sort_direction=0&page=1

The second one is in Canadian dollars.

I noticed yesterday that fabric.com sells Aurifil and they had it on sale for $6 and something but that was just for yesterday unfortunately.

Hi Meg,

I'm curious as to why you don't like the so-fine.   I'm always looking for a piecing thread.

Hi Chris...

The SoFine was breaking, especially when I was chain piecing. I chain piece a lot. It was frustrating.

When I switched it out to try the aurifil I got at VQF, I could not believe how much better aurifil ran in my machine!

And it presses down to almost nothing for gorgeous seams.

It's probably worth the extra $....but I was wondering if anyone loved the Cairo Quilt before I bit the bullet and stocked up on aurifil.

Thanks, Marci, youre a sweetheart! I will be happy to order it if someone with a Bernina says they use it with success. If not, I'll stick with the aurifil. After all, I'm worth it! :)

Meg, I have some Cairo Quilt that I could send you. I have white, cream, or grey. Message me if you want me to send some out tomorrow so you can try it. It is 45 weight. :)

I sometimes piece with So Fine.  I put the cone on a spool stand behind my machine then run it up and through the eye on the Creative Spool thread stand for my Pfaff and then thread normally.  The Creative spool thread stand looks like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/261324373288?lpid=82

The extra distance helps reduce the tug on the thread and I do not have any breakage.

If there is a similar stand for your Bernina you might give it a try.

I also use Aurifil and Masterpiece.

Masterpiece has never worked well in my Bernina.

Gutterman runs well, but I don't like how it presses down.

Same with Mettler.

I think I'm going to just bite the bullet and become an aurifil girl.

My new motto shall be...

Life's too short to fuss with thread.

Thanks ladies!

I also use Masterpiece thread and use the thread holder stand on the back of the machine.  Masterpiece has changed their thread from 2 ply to 3 ply to accommodate the newer machines that have the tighter tensions.  I have an 180E Bernina that I have used Masterpiece in when this thread first came out and never had an issue.  I recently purchased a newer model Bernina and had lots of trouble with the Masterpiece thread breaking. When I went to the 3 ply (which you can only get 3 ply now) I did not have this breakage issue.  I purchase the large cones and they last me through several quilt projects.  I also get my thread through Sewthankful.com as this is the best place I have found for pricing on this thread.

I use Aurifil exclusively for piecing for the reasons all of you have indicated. It is strong and doesn't break. It's not slippery, so when you chain piece the stitches don't back out. It is so thin it makes the points pointier on my triangles. It may be pricey, but I figure that buying good thread is as important as buying good fabric. You can get fabric at Wal-Mart, but if you are going to go to all that effort to make a quilt, should you?

I use SoFine without a problem.  No breakage.  I also use Bottomline.  I use whatever I have the most of in the quilting thread cabinet.  Love the 50 or 60 wt. threads as the piecing is so flat at the seams when pressed.  I never had much luck with the thicker cotton threads.  I used to use Gutterman, which I still like, but I don't get by to buy it that often and I order tons of thread for from Metro, Fil-tec and Superior!  (I had a fabric problem before I longarmed, now I also have a thread problem :lol: ).

I use Gutterman (sp?) most of the time and didn't realize there may be a pressing problem with it.  Hmmm...of course when I read the title of this post "Piecing thread", I wondered why anyone would want to piece threads together.  :D  I think the Christmas quilting rush is getting to me! :blink:

Archived