Loving my Quilter's Groove Rulers**updated pics scroll down

So I need to wear reading glasses to quilt.  But my glasses are not comfortable to wear today, I'm recovering from some minor eye surgery.  AND I need to finish my nephew's quilt, it's his Christmas present.  I'm not feeling confident about using my Itty Bitty Ruler for piano keys in the outer border.  I'm afraid I'll mishandle it and wreck the timing....been there done that.

Do I dare try the Quilter's Groove Ruler that I bought last year?  Here's the link:  http://www.stonehousequilting.com/shop/product/quilter-s-groove-pro-line-set/

Yes, I dared.  And WOW, it couldn't be easier.  I"m so pleased with it!  It's so easy to use, and I can do it without having my perfect eyesight.  That's a winner in my book!  Add this to your list for Santa this year!

I had to jump on and post as soon as I finished the first border.  A picture of the finished quilt will follow.  I just wanted to share what a great tool this is.  Ok, I needed to sit down and take a break too.

post-4164-0-36004700-1386356000_thumb.jpg

The only marking I did was the diagonal line in the corners.  The ruler takes care of all spacing.  How easy is that!

post-4164-0-43991400-1386356020_thumb.jpg

And it's super easy to go around a motif too:

post-4164-0-68535700-1386356074_thumb.jpg

All bloopers you see in my stitching are mine, and have nothing to do with the ruler.  This ruler ROCKS!

Thanks for looking!

They are even better to use once yiu get the hang of using them properly. I was trying to cut moving them as much by stitching along one side moving the machine then stitching along the other side, but the glob on theback of the foot made the lines different distances apart.

last quilt I persisted in stiching along line up to the next line, scoot the ruler... my lines were then consistent.

Beautiful work, Ann.

I do have a couple questions.. after I say something.

In the corners, or around an applique.. do you do the applique outline first

or do you outline the applique as you go?

I can see NO evidence of double stitching,, or backtracking or following the stitches to

continue with the piano keys.     How do you do that?

Beautiful job in any case..  

I looked at the site but couldn't find the quilters line rulers, only the quilters groove ones?? What am I doing wrong? Or do they create curved as well as straight lines?

Hi Ann-

The link went right to the set of straight line quilters groove rulers.  It's a grooved ruler.  There is a small groove that slides over the hopping foot.  Then a larger groove, depending on the size that you use, I was using the 1" so it was much larger.  Anyway, the larger groove is how you stitch the straight lines.  Holding the ruler against the hopping foot, stitch down one side of the ruler.  Stop with the needle down.  Scoot the ruler over so you are on the opposite side of the larger groove.  Then you need to stitch over to the next starting place.  My "stitching over" was either in the ditch or in the seam allowance at the outer edge of the quilt top.  But that's how you get the consistent spacing.  Then stitch in the other direction using the ruler.  It comes with easy instructions and there is a good video on you tube as well.  

Google "quilters groove rulers" and the video pops up.  

They sell the grooved rulers that make straight lines, and different grooved rulers that make curved lines.

Does this help?

Beautiful work, Ann.

I do have a couple questions.. after I say something.

In the corners, or around an applique.. do you do the applique outline first

or do you outline the applique as you go?

I can see NO evidence of double stitching,, or backtracking or following the stitches to

continue with the piano keys.     How do you do that?

Beautiful job in any case..  

Hi Rita-

My applique already had the echo around it before I did the straight lines.  I let IQ handle the applique with echo.  So when I did the straight lines up to the applique, I just stitched over the echo stitches that were already there.  Does that make sense?

One thing that impressed me so much was how easy that quilters groove ruler made it to find where the next 1" spacing fell, especially around the applique.

If you can't see the backtracking over the echo lines, or my not -so- in- the- ditch SID, that's because the photo doesn't have enough resolution :-)))  It's the galloping horse thing, if you can't see it in the photo, it isn't there :D

I did not backtrack over the straight lines.  I thought it would be better to have shorter "misses" in the ditch than longer ones on every straight line.  That's just because I wasn't wearing my glasses.  If I'd really been on top of my game, I might have programmed IQ to do the piano keys too....I just wasn't feeling up to complicated yesterday.  And I'm glad, because this was fun.  

Today I get to turn the quilt and do some more straight lines on the last two sides....oh boy oh boy oh boy.

Thanks

So glad you are posting pics now, Annie!  The border looks fabulous!  So is there no chance to bump the hopping foot with this ruler then?

Hi Cindy-

I wouldn't say there is no chance of bumping the hopping foot with this ruler, because I believe it can happen with any ruler.  But it sure seemed like this ruler was safer than most.  I was careful and did not have any issues.  Knock on wood....today I'll do more.  

I hope to do much more quilting in the new year, and post more pics.

Thanks

I ordered these about 6 months ago and until this subject came up my goodness I forget I ordered them. That's a sign I have way to much on my mind what's left of it! I could have used them when I did piano keys last week I am such a putz! I am going to the quilt room right now and get them out. Your piano keys look great. Wow I wonder what else I have forgot about. LOL

Anne,  Thanks for the reply.   I do actually understand what you mean about the echo..   I've not checked that feature out on the SS.  I'm sure I will need it one day.. Oh..

a light bulb just went off.  I've used that feature.

Next on the frame is our Grandson's college quilt,  North Carolina State.. He is having a ball up there and has hit at least 96% on every test so far.  So proud of that young guy.

Anyway, I will be dealing with angled ends on every strip of the huge Chinese Lantern.  Simple but made with the logo of state fabric, and beautiful contrast.  I can hardly wait to get it done.

LOL, I'm only 6 months late.

Rita

The border is great and I will look at these rulers. What did you do un the middle of the quilt? Is it a panto or what? It is great.

Thanks

Don

Hi Don-

I took a class from Sue Patten a couple of years ago about "plunking" motifs randomly around a quilt.  So I plunked some of Dusty Ferrell's Dragon designs and put a Bayside Panto around them.  Sort of looks like flames.  Here are the links to those designs:

http://www.digitechpatterns.com/product_p/df011.htm

http://www.digitechpatterns.com/product_p/lqpanto012.htm

The dragon's don't show very well, because the quilt top is so busy.  But they were fun to do  :)

I stabilized the quilt first, by SID around the small black border.  This time I pin basted across the body of the quilt and left the basting in.  Worked great.  Then I let IQ stitch the dragons.  Then I set up the panto in IQ and made no-sew zones around the dragons.  

Thanks

Ta Da!  Here's the finished quilt.  The piano keys finished beautifully.

post-4164-0-88742500-1386612350_thumb.jpg

A close up of the corner with the dragon and skull hanging out.

post-4164-0-70871800-1386612409_thumb.jpg

Some details that don't show in the pictures...I got lazy with the binding.  I attached the binding with Millie, then stitched it down on my DSM with invisible thread.  Then I put a decorative stitch over the seam, with variegated thread.  I got lazy with the label too.  While it was still on Millie, I stitched is name, mine and the year in the small black corner.  :-)))))

Did I mention that a black Sharpie is also a great tool?

Thanks for encouraging me as I finished this one.

Archived