Suggestions for quilting log cabin squares

This is a large quilt with an applique block in the center and many log cabin square surrounding it.  I'm not sure how to handle all of the log cabin squares.  I'm leaning towards an overall feather design rather than quilting each individual square.

Sorry I can't get a good photo of the entire quilt, but hopefully you'll get the idea from the pics.

Thanks in advance for advice.

(Let me know if the pics are too small.)

post-4461-0-00122500-1386861772_thumb.jpg

post-4461-0-48326300-1386861786_thumb.jpg

I think all over feathers would be good in the log cabin squares.  I would probabaly do bead board in the outer floral border, some sort of swirl thing in narrow border, and some sort of curved swag design (double line  with a little pebbling in between the lines) in the inner border...one curve/swag per log cabin block. Good luck!

Thank you everyone for your ideas!

Debbie & Chris - I did do some piano keys and swags with feathers in the outer border.  Like you and Chris mention, it doesn't show up much in the floral fabric though so the swags with feathers was rather a waste of time. The nice part is the mistakes don't show much. :rolleyes: I've done some swirly stuff and leaves in the small borders.

Madelyn - I am planning some custom in the applique block, but probably nothing too heavy. 

Charlotte - I did draw out some designs to treat each block individually with your suggestions.  I do like the way that looks too! 

I appreciate everyone's suggestions very much.  I can always count on good advice from this forum!

I'll post the pics when I'm done.

Perhaps a half feather in either the light or dark and then stitch in ditch for each log cabin block.  Customizing the details in the appliqué block would make the house pop off the quilt.  I would also echo around the center motif.  What about a rope design in the borders?  That's a beautiful quilt! Can't wait to see it finished.

Oops.....I see you have already finished getting advice!   :blink: Hope to see a pic soon!

I would love to see a few picts of the finished quilt.
Eager to see the treatment you se4lected..

I can't see all of it in my minds eye., just the beadboard and swag.

It's a pretty quilt.. love the way they placed the feature block off

center, with the log cabins around it. 

Rita

Archived