Clicking sound near top of George

LisaK

Well, it's been a few weeks and George and are getting to know each other:). I'm trying to be patient with my stitch quality and learning curve. I have 3 questions right now. George makes a clicking sound high up near the speed dialog that I'm noticing more and more, is this normal? I have cleaned and oiled. He also seems to be straining whenever I speed up even a little on the foot pedal. Also, the belts are exposed underneath. Is there supposed to be a cover down there? Thanks!

My George is all enclosed.  What year is your George?  I have been using my George yesterday and today and don't remember hearing any clicking sounds.  What fabrics/battings are you working on?  Do you have a dull needle?  A dull needle does cause a sound with each stitch.

If you call APQS they can listen over the phone and tell quite a bit about what is normal and what a possible problem is.

Let us know what you find.

The needle makes the right deflection sound as in Amy's video. This noise is up higher, near or behind the needle up button and speed dial. I've taken to listening to all the Geoge videos I can find to hear how it sounds. Won't be able to play with him until later today. I will double check the needle position.

Thanks for answering,

Lisa

Here I am but I don't have any brilliant ideas for Lisa.  Describing and diagnosing problems can be so difficult to put into words!  Calling APQS and running the machine for Amy would be the best bet in terms of the clicking sound.  The only noise my George makes 'up high' is vibration from the light. (I've got the old version with the gooseneck light mounted on top near the wicks).  When you say the machine is straining when you speed up…do you mean the motor sounds strained or the fabric doesn't want to move?  Your third issue really confuses me.  Belts exposed underneath?  Can you post a photo?  As Madelyn says, the machine is enclosed…the only moving parts on the exterior should be the take up lever & the needle.

My George loves Isacord thread & your batting sounds fine.  Needle position can make a big difference in stitch quality but it doesn't sound like it would be responsible for the noise or the straining.  Lisa, was your George new from the factory?  You are doing what you should…staying patient, consulting the forum, watching the videos.  Don't despair…we're going to help you through the bonding process with your new George.

Nancy in Tucson

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the APQS family! You and George will get along famously. You're right, there is a learning curve to the tension but you'll get it! 

If you're still concerned about the sounds your George is making, by all means call us so Amy can listen. She's like the horse whisperer, only her specialty is quilting machines! Your machine is not missing a cover. There is no cover on the belt side underneath the machine.

If the sound you're hearing is coming from up near the speed dial area, check the covers themselves for vibration. You can try gently squeezing them together (reach over the top and put your fingers on one side and your thumb on the other) to see if there's a rattle. Sometimes a cover can get jarred during shipping, and then it begins to rub on the machine. It will sound noisier the faster you quilt. 

If the machine is sewing correctly, don't get too worried about the sound. We'll take a listen and get you fixed up. Just give us a call when you can be near the machine with your phone. The best time to call is after 10 a.m. CST.

Thanks for choosing APQS!

Hi - just another George owner saying hello.  And seconding the others who say that the support staff will help you with whatever the noise is.   My machine clicks if my needle is not positioned just right - but it sounds down near the bobbin...  don't know if that might be worth checking. 

And, that pesky tension - seems almost impossible now that I had trouble with it - now if it is not sewing lovely stitches, I just crank it real loose, sew on a practice piece and gradually tighten the tension until it looks right...  just never have any problems now.  

I love my George - and since buying it, I no longer have piles of quilts awaiting quilting... Now I have piles awaiting binding!!!!

Enjoy your new baby.

Kathleen

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lisa,

I have been off for awhile, making my daughter an Owl quilt ( queen size).  Finally got top and backing put together so tomorrow hopefully sandwiched and ready for George.

I live on the south side of Houston just off 288 south of 518.

Hope things are going well for you.

Archived