Horizontal Spool Holder

Thanks for the creative ideas...I bought a couple of small spools of variegated thread to do my nephews quilt on my DSM.  Once I knew I was getting a Millennium I put the quilting projects on hold.  Took me forever to decide on the right thread, couldn't find it on a cone and I didn't want to start the selection process all over again...nice to know I can just tape a stick to machine and get what I need.

Along those same lines................do you gals use the Vertical Cone holders you can mount at the front of the machine ?   I always thought it would be handy to have it up front so I didn't have to walk around to the back to change threads..........not that walking around to the back is going to kill me, but ????   Does the tension on the thread work as well from the upfront/top holder?

Although I have  2013 machine I am not using the thread break sensor. I put  the Vertical Cone holders on the front about three years ago and haven't put thread on the back spool since.  Used Monopoly through the front yesterday no problems either.  Don't have enough room at the back of my machine to constantly be putting thread there.  I can quickly change colours at the front and save almost a metre of thread each change over.

Must start using those cut off threads for basting my  hexagons!

I'm not home, but going off memory, I come off the front cone through one hole for Monolon, and weave through all three on the front 3 hole guide. So basically you just don't use the back 3 hole threaders on the back one which I only use one hole anyway. Hopefully it is clearer than mus.

Shirley

Sandy, The thread spool holder is the one APQS sell. For about $70 a great investment.  I have the monopoly elevated here so it didn't twist on the top of the post,  I even threaded it through the left post then the right so it couldn't twist up on itself.

The Clear cover over my oil wicks is the top of a packet of tins.  I know in my previous machine they got dirty or it put threads etc on them.  So I am happier to cover them.  It is held on with two bits of blue tac.

Archived