Instructions to customers

Hi all, I'm pretty new here, mostly reading, but I have this question.  I have just started taking customers with my Freedom.  To build the business, get some practice and sometimes because I want to, I've done some charity quilts at no charge.  I have them supply backing and batting.  But the ones I get are always the biggest mess.  La Moyne stars hand pieced and no pressing of any seams.  (It took me two whole evenings to press all those seams!) Backing sewn with the salvege still on.  Wavy wavy borders.  Does anyone have a sheet of instructions that they hand out to customers covering how a quilt top should come in?  And maybe how to do nice unwavy borders?  I thought I'd check instead of trying to recreate the wheel.   If I can come up with something I'll hand it out before agreeing to do another free quilt. Then if they can't present it in the condition asked for, I won't feel like a rat saying I won't do it.  Thanks!

I had one.  They don't read it, or don't do what it says even if they do.  There is no incentive for them to do it right unless they are  charged for  the problems.  On the charity quilts, just quilt them as they come.  On customer quilts, call them and give them the option of fixing the problem.  If the quilts are terrible, return them unquilted, explain to the customer what the problem is, and move on.  You are not required to produce a masterpiece on a bad quilt, for free.

Since you're taking charity quilts and not charging, you are fully justified in handing them back and gently explaining your requirements. 

Maybe the reason they are charity quilts is because they didn't turn out well and the owner just wants them finished and gone from their sight--and to a good cause, of course!

My recommendation is to tread lightly. Examine the top and backer at drop-off, looking for the usual suspects. Gently mention any issues you see right away. The rest you'll discover as you dive in and quilt. Never hand a quilt back to the customer to "fix" unless you're willing to never see it again. People get embarrassed or hurt from criticism, no matter how true or awful the problem is. And sometimes they just give up and pack the quilt away unfinished.

Take the quilt, let them know what the problems are and your plan for fixing them, and when you finish and they come for pick-up--that's when you give them the hand-outs. When you get the next quilt from them, see if they've improved. If not start charging extra for all the fixes. It'll amaze you how quickly they'll improve when the cost goes up. Or else they don't care, just want to piece, and are willing to pay extra to you----and now they get to start the next top.  :D

Let me clarify..you were talking about badly pieced charity quilts that you are doing for free.  There is rightfully a limit on your responsibility for these quilts.  I do not suffer over poor quality charity quilts, trying to ease in wavy borders or pressing seams.  Just quilt in with a panto or free hand e to e, sew pleats into the wavy borders, and get on with your life.

If you are taking customer quilts in for pay, obviously you need to be bit more tactful than essentially saying "this is a mess.  Come and get it and do it over."  I will fix things for regular customers if the problem is not something that occurs on every quilt.  I will call them and ask if they want me to remove/reattach wavy borders and charge for that or if they want to fix it themselves.  

I guess you need to decide if you feel their business is more important than the time their problems take to solve.  After the first year, I decided the answer was no, and I now have a problem-free customer base.

Thanks for the helpful information and advice ladies!  I figured the charity quilts, if done well, might lead to other business.  So far everyone has been happy with the work.  I do gently tell people if there is something they obviously haven't learned yet (some of my customers are new quilters) and they seem to appreciate the chance to learn.  I usually phrase it as - when I started taking my quilts to a quilter, she taught me this - so they know I'm not a know it all, but learning everyday, the same as they are.  Again thanks.  Debbie, I think I might get some of those cards!  For the circumstances when they will be appropriate.

I have made up my own page of "how to prepare your quilt top and backing for quilting".  For the quilts that have issues, I put the paper in with the quilt and tell the customer that there is additional information for them to read.  Sometimes if the quilt or backing is really bad (like what you described) I actually go over the paper with the client and tell them why.  I have not had any more issues with these ladies since I have done that.  Most of the time it they just didn't know.  Education helps our job a lot :) 

As for the 'freebies' that you do.  If the backing is bad, I send it back.  If the top is really bad, I send it back and I tell them why.  People just don't understand what is needed for good results on machine quilting.  So many times we here "it will quilt out".  Remember your reputation as a quilter is on the line, regardless if it is charity or for pay.

Should they still want you to quilt it, then tell them you charge for ironing, fixing seams, trimming threads and cleaning.  You said you were trying to start your business and wanted to build a client list and one way was to do charity quilts.  Be careful that these same people don't take advantage of you and your generosity.

.........La Moyne stars hand pieced and no pressing of any seams.  (It took me two whole evenings to press all those seams!) Backing sewn with the salvege still on.  Wavy wavy borders.....

OK, I do a lot of charity quilts for no charge. A lot of them. I don't mind doing them at all... it is an honor and pleasure for me to offer free quilting for charity in my community... . BUT... I refuse to ... I will draw the line with having to stop and press or fix wonky quilts. 

I appreciate Linda Rech's advice. Many times I just quilt the quilt... but, I have found that over the years, it's not "what you say" it's "How you say it" to the customer. How you talk to the customer, and give them respect and help them to improve... communicate honestly, tactfully, respectfully. Treat them and talk to them as though it were you receiving the feedback. Be nice. Be kind. Behave like a team player (you are a team) So, I will just contact the person that gave the wonky quilt to me and ask that they press the top (and perhaps the backer) if necessary. I am more than happy to do the quilting part, but somebody else needs to pitch in with the preparations before the quilt gets to me. I work a full time job outside the home and I am away from home 11 hours of every weekday. My only time for quilting is on an evening (rare) or on the weekend. So, time is of the essence... and "MY" time is very very valuable to me. I don't have time for pressing somebody else's wonky quilts (charity or paid customer). My business is to provide "Machine Quilting Services" my business is not ironing, pressing, sewing, fixing, repairing or stressing over fixing someone else's problems.... Give me your quilt, your backing and your batting. Your quilt will be returned to you within 2-3 weeks. I have a quick turnaround.

I have one I made-actually took ones and copied some and edited etc.  Send me your email and I'd be glad to send it to you.  I agree, often they don't read it but I always refer them to it if needed.  Charity quilts I usually don't mind doing, however, I do charge for customer quilts if I have to repair or do more than a few minutes of work.  I always call and let them know ahead of time to give them the option.  Sometimes you actually lose time and money on some.  I think it goes with the territory.

I have one I made-actually took ones and copied some and edited etc.  Send me your email and I'd be glad to send it to you.  I agree, often they don't read it but I always refer them to it if needed.  Charity quilts I usually don't mind doing, however, I do charge for customer quilts if I have to repair or do more than a few minutes of work.  I always call and let them know ahead of time to give them the option.  Sometimes you actually lose time and money on some.  I think it goes with the territory.

Thanks!  I sent my email.  First time I've tried that on here, so let me know if you don't get anything.  I appreciate your sharing :)

Archived