Look what George did for me!

Lisa and Joy, you will get there with your machines, just keep treating each quilt as a good practice piece.  Relax and decide what speed is comfortable for you, not the next quilter or the top quilter.  I used Martinelli quilting rings to help move the quilt and they are wonderful without physical stress occurring. (They do need to produce a skinny rectangle piece to make it easier to hold the final edge border).  I also used stenciled pounced on as I moved into the next section or the chalk wheel to create lines to aim for depending on the design.  The feather spine was a chalk line to create the corner curve and then they "grew" from there

What a fantastic job, Madelyn.  You are really going to enjoy sleeping under that beauty!  We learn with every quilt…you've got me ready to go for those Martelli rings at this point.  As for the Rainbows thread, it runs well on my George too but at least part of your trouble-free quilting is the machine OPERATOR and not simply the thread.  So glad you had such a wonderful experience quilting this one!  Thanks for sharing the photos & your descriptions,   Nancy in Tucson

Thanks, Nancy,

I do really like those Martelli rings, I use the 11 inch most of the time because the 8 inch just makes you change position too often.  The 8 was better for th edge border since I had to also hold the edge fabric with my fingers on the right to left movements.  That is where a square or rectangle "ring" needs to be designed and used.  My only other complaint is that the knob handles should have been placed so their edges don't hang into the quilting area where the hopping foot bar can get off line by them.  That will be an easy fix, they screw off and my hubby had a drill press, we will just move the screw over. 

Archived