2013 Millie makes noise

My Millie stitches fine but I think the bobbin housing, not the bobbin case seems to rattle loudly frequently but not always. I stitch with regulator on and try to stitch evenly but I know i need to do better in this area. I have the M bobbins. I have not figured what I am doing different when it does not rattle. It behaves both loud and not so loud during the same quilting session on the same quilt.

Since stitches are just fine should I learn to ignore it or should I be doing something about it?

I would check the spring in your bobbin case, your bobbin could be raddling in your case.  I would also check to make sure that your bobbin housing isn't loose.  How offen are you oiling your bobbin area?  I'm sure others may have some other suggestion for you.

I would give it a WD40 bathe and oil her. Then blow out your bobbin case and check your spring. Like Liam said. Make sure that the hook assembly doesn't wobble and is tight. As long as she is tight and oiled, once you check things you should be fine. Mine makes more noise sometimes than others. You could call and have someone listen to it at APQS, they can tell lots of things that way.

Shirley

Hi,

An "M" bobbin assembly is actually louder and can sound more "rattly" than an "L" bobbin simply due to its size. That said, if you are cleaning and oiling the machine as directed, do not be alarmed by the sound. Your bobbin case and hook assembly will sound louder when it's dry, or when the bobbin has less thread on it since it will spin faster in the case. Just in case you need info on oiling, this might help:

Cleaning & Oiling the Hook and Wicks.pdf

• 1 month later...

There wouldn't happen to be a Video of such Cleaning as the Alcohol/ WD40 etc.. would there ?? I am a newbie.. and I am not sure about where to 'dump' the alcohol vice spray..or is it pretty safe that its not gonna hurt if it gets to other places?   Watching someone else perform this would surely clear things up :-) 

This is what I do.

I use canned air to blow out the bobbin area and inside the bobbin case.

Then, with the bobbin case out of the machine, I run the machine on a low speed and spray the WD40 in the bobbin area.

I use that skinny straw thing on the WD40 can to direct the flow.

I use a towel underneath to catch any drips...but be careful this towel doesn't get sucked up into bobbin area.

(This happened to me once and I nearly had a breakdown. Thankfully, Amy helped me resolve it)

I then wipe off all the WD40 and lint, and put a drop of oil in the groove that makes the bobbin spin.

I also put a drop of oil inside the bobbin case before I put a bobbin in, although I'm not sure why I do this.

The alcohol is applied to the inside of the wheels and rails to clean off the black oxidation that occurs.

I use a quip to get inside the wheels and batting scraps to do the rails.

I don't think alcohol is supposed to be for use in the machines guts.

I also take a straight pins and clean under the bobbin finger thing....which is the place the thread comes out of the bobbin case.

Then I check to see if the wicks are dry and oil them if need be.

I'm not very technical, so hopefully someone will chime in with the correct terminology.

I also after wiping out the WD40 give it a good blast of air to get the residual WD40 out then oil it. I use a pin under the finger also, but they recommend a business card instead. A pin can scratch your bobbin case. I use wind ex on my rais, spray some on a pPer towel and run over it with the wheels, it cleans the grooves in the wheels.

Shirley

Archived