I'm Never gonna feel guilty about the size of my stash!

Quiltmonkey-

Your stash is NOT old junk like on that show! (Have you seen the show "Hoarders'? That one makes my skin crawl)

I will NEVER  feel guilty about my stash-I worked hard acquiring it. I pet it often and take pieces out, admire it talk to it and refold or use as desired.

My stash is what I buy because I love it-I have been invited to many "ugly fabric" exchanges and I must decline as I have NO ugly fabric in my stash! LOL

As moms we know there is so much we do for others and we do it with love-I do my stash with love also - it's just for me. I do not compromise on it either.

The only other thing I do not compromise on is "Mom parks in the garage in winter!"  On that note...

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!! ;) 

Shana...

We should never feel guilty about our creativity.

Our stash and thread, our LAs and gadgets are all tools for our creativity.

As long as no one is being hurt by it...what's the harm in a bit of fabric hoarding?

I've never felt guilty.

But, sometimes, I do admit to feeling a little overwhelmed by all of it!

I have noticed that a few shops around here are closing....they are a bit of a drive for me...so I am kinda trying to forget the dates and fighting myself not too!  My scrap boxes have just seemed to have grown lately....I suppose that is good...but there is fabric everywhere!  I am being buried alive!  Lin

I read about a woman who moved from Nevada to California (or the other way around I can't remember now) and when she moved, she left behind TWO storage units full of fabric!!!!!!  When she goes back, she goes "shopping" in her storage units.  I DO NOT FEEL GUILTY ABOUT ONE ROOM IN MY HOUSE.   :D

I do believe that should we ever have a contest as to who has the most fabric stash...I would WIN!   :P

Before I retired, I took advantage of many closing store sales and have a fabric stash that blows every ones mind.  I am rather happy that I have this fabric stash now as the retail pricing on fabric has gone bonkers and there is no way that I would ever be able to afford such totally unreal prices.

Of course just about every QS is having a year end sale right now and some are really good ones. I don't even look at the 20% off...not enough of a sale to interest me.... but those that have fabric $3-$5.00 a yd are nice to look at. 

I have also felt guilty about my stash (5 book shelves) full. It is over flowing and I need another one. But, like previously mentioned, with the price of fabric sky rocketing, if it is less than $5/yd and I like it, I am going to buy it. My stash is my only vice. I also "pet" my fabric and enjoy "shopping" in my stash. I need my stash visible so I can see what I have or might need to add.

Shana, if you need rehab because of your fabric stash, I must need to be committed. I have 6 big totes full of fat quarter bundles and jelly rolls, 11 big totes of flat fold bundles and 197 bolts of fabric (mainly Moda). Wonder how much therapy I need?? :o

A few weeks ago I wanted to free up a couple bedrooms for Christmas quess that I had my quilting fabrics, rolls of batting and my other quilting goodies stuffed in and put it all in one bedroom. I purchased a half dozen of the big totes from Wal-Mart and started packing up all my flat folds and unboxing my bolts of fabric, fat quarter bundles and jelly rolls. I knew I had a lot of fabric but did not realize I had as much as I do. Made a couple more trips to Wal-Mart for more totes and got all my quilting treasures shoved into one bedroom. When I get some free time I need to organize it, right now it is like one of those closets that are stuffed full and your afraid to open the door. My kids call me a fabric hoarder and tell me I need help!! Perhaps I do!! I just like fabric!

About ten years ago, right after my father died, my mother prepared to move out of the huge family house into an apartment in a local retirement complex.  She had quite astash even though she never quilted.  Her stash was all "beautiful" polyester double knits and she didn't understand why I didn't want any of it!  I am glad to report that I escaped with none of it...  I was almost afraid she would hide some in a bag hidden in my husbands pickup truck.  Whew!

Why oh why do we feel guilty about having a fabric stash that needs frequent feeding?  I refuse to feel that way, so there, I've now said it publicly out loud!!!!   :D

I wonder if woodworkers feel guilty about their hoard of timber? I bet they don't . Timber does takes up heaps more room than fabric.  On the other hand tho I guess a stamp collector doesn't need  much storage!.

Our fabric gives us much pleasure, we can feast on it with our eyes, we can fondle it, dream of what  and how we will use it , share it and when the time is right can even use it!!  

My mother died at 92 and I have her stash of fabric, mostly in 3 to 4 yard lengths from the 50's and 60's, have used some but still have much left. 

Incidentally like Lyn in Australia where fabric is costly, it is the same here in New Zealand at around $28 -$30 a metre, Nothing is wasted so every flipping inch is used ! 

Yvonne   :)

My husband is a wood worker and and I can vouch that he does not feel guilty about his stash! He would feel guilty if he had all that wonderful equipment and no wood to use. He totally understands my need to create and to stash and never says a word when I buy something new. He is so awesome!

My husband has never said anything about my stash.  I wonder if it is because he has loaded up 2 acres of our land with his precious items??  ^_^

Yes, I agree with everyone about our stash of fabric and craft items.  It is therapy for a quilter's soul :)

Part of our community was destroyed in a tornado 5 years ago.  We didn't sustain any damage, but later that year our insurance agent wanted to review our policy to make sure we had enough coverage.  Part of what he did was take photos of all our "valuables".  I asked about my fabric stash, he said "Oh, that is probably less than $100" and looked at me funny when I laughed at him.  I went on to show him the 13 tubs that hold 30+yards of fabric each at a minimum replacement value of $10/yard.  He took the picture :)

This week my one of my quilting sisters proposed a challenge to finish one UFO a month for the next year, I looked around and found 55.  I think I have some work to do!

Archived