Pics of ceramic thread guides & quilting rings on George

Neher-in-law5

Marci was looking for some pictures of the ceramic fishing guides that were used on George by some of us.  So here are some pictures to see how I have applied the guides and where.  I just used a sticky tape to hold them in place and they haven't given me any problem in about 4 years.   I thread almost all my threads the same way on George with it always going through the fishing guides just to control the whipping of long stretches of loose thread.  The 3 hole guides are usually threaded with just one or two holes used.

The last picture is how I keep the Martelli quilting rings available but out of the way.  I don't know why they couldn't have made them so they can go on and off the machine without removing the throat plate each time, so I used an almost empty King Tut spool and just held it in place with clear packaging tape in front of George's lights but with enough space to let both rings sit between the spool and the lights.  The rings lift over the spool and can be brought down to the table bed for use.  I have really liked them and they have helped me move the quilt and control the design stitching.

guides and rings on George.doc

I know that Sharon Schamber uses fishing line guides on her machines.  That is where I first saw them.  It is a really good idea to have extra guides to help control your thread.  I don't know why the long arm quilt machine industry doesn't have more thread guides, seems a fairly easy fix for the static that happens with thread and really does control the thread from 'flopping' about.

Thanks for the pictures :)

Archived