New Studio Space Ready to Rock N Roll

11660949154_728d2d0eaa.jpgAfter two months of non-stop interruptions and holiday travel fun...           11660601785_1bf1654abf.jpg I've finally turned our 12x24 shed into "Studio Q   ...for Quilting"11660953394_ffe8a4a578.jpg  As you can see I had quite the challenge and still don't have a clue where to put all this stuff.11660854063_6bc4719ebc.jpg ...but Michelle said, it's not going in here!!!                                                                                       11660514465_7d7be543e2.jpg Today the Millennium gets put together and we're spending our Rockin' NYE right here practicing.

You are so lucky!  My dream is a shed, with potty, sink, tiny fridge, coffee maker, and of course electricity

and very well insulated.

I doubt it ever happens but gives me something to dream of.

What is the ceiling made of?  Great lights.

Congrats, have a blast off in quilting tonight.. We'll watch for the fireworks of fun you send up.

Rita

You are so lucky!  My dream is a shed, with potty, sink, tiny fridge, coffee maker, and of course electricity

and very well insulated.

I doubt it ever happens but gives me something to dream of.

What is the ceiling made of?  Great lights.

Congrats, have a blast off in quilting tonight.. We'll watch for the fireworks of fun you send up.

Rita

AWESOME JOB on the make-over. It looks fantastic!!!

........and insulated indeed Rita. this was my studio closet at 10a.m.  Granted, it's insulated and I have a heater / air conditioner unit; but it draws the electricity. I only use it when I start losing feeling in my extremities :lol:  

11672010005_1653285155_n.jpg

James.  I would also need the heater and ac.. No way could I stand the cold or the heat,

nor humidity.. 

Glad you have both.. himself found out the space heaters are less costly, than the heat

pump, not really a heat pump, but a heat pack.

Glad you are well insulated, too.

enjoy  greeting the new year.

I'm on my way to bed, now.  Got up at 5 a.m.

Rita

Great space! What did you use to finish the floors? 

Congrats and please post your quilting progress.

I showed the photos to my DH and his comment was that while I have a great space (separate add-on to a garage with heat/air/windows) it more closely resembles your before pics rather than the after ones! I need to clean!

Happy New Year everyone and thanks, I appreciate that you appreciate my efforts...I'll have a few more pictures later this evening.  I'm sure I'm using up all my photo space because I haven't figured out how to use that "my media" thingy, so if anyone can enlighten me I'd appreciated it.  

Rita, the ceiling is the white hard board paneling from Lowes.  I just nailed it to the roof trusses (not the proper way) after I insulated the ceiling, then ran 1 1/2" lattice strips down the seams to cover the gaps and shoddy craftsmanship.  The stuff works great as a dry-erase white board too, unfortunately I didn't have any leftover.  The studio is well insulated and just waiting for heat and a/c units...been waiting for those since October, but that's another story.   I have a el'cheapo space heater that keeps the space nice and toasty. Unfortunately, no indoor plumbing...but I'm surrounded by woods. LOL

Didn't get a chance to play last night, as we just finished the assembly as the ball at Time's Square dropped.  But we did fire everything up and we're ready to go!

more later....

This little project took longer then anticipated. Was hoping to get to play with Millie on NYE,

11847159433_4046017143.jpg

but as you can see, just before the Ball dropped in NYC we threw the switch and Millie was fired up for the very first time.  

11847176183_2e8a3a2bb2.jpg

Exhausted, we went to bed...Happy New Year!!! 

11846904895_b2651debb5.jpg

Sure makes that space look a lot smaller...and there's a lot more stuff that has to go in there.  

But we did start the new year off PPPing, just don't want to share those photos....ugggggleeeee!!!!  Once I realized how much practice I need I went back to my magna doodle and just started drawing...silly me, after watching many, many, many hours of YouTube videos and DVDs along with reading countless books and magazines I really thought I was ready to start quilting...not!  I'm a little overwhelmed with how much I need to learn and how much I didn't know that I thought I knew when I grabbed those handles.  It's a humbling experience.

Enough whining  already...suck it up and move on to another topic.   

11847660536_be1ba10efd_n.jpg11847196873_4ea18dfd3e_n.jpg11847718846_c1ab33a73d_n.jpg

Do all aluminum rails ship from the factory looking like this or was I the lucky one to get the abused set that slipped through Quality Control? These aren't just surface scratches.  I neglected to snap pics of the epoxy that was left on the side rails and even on top of one of the bliss tracks.  Michelle and I spent an hour cleaning them just to make them presentable.  Yeah, it might be petty and it doesn't affect the operation of the machine, but for the money I wasn't expecting the rails to look like these. 

...starting to whine again, better go.

Love the space.... Mine is 11 1/2 x 15.... I had to really design the space efficiently to get everything in there. I had to put the bookcases in first, before the machine, or I would not have gotten them in! I have 8" to get around to the back of the machine and just enough space for the head to move from front to back without hitting the bookcases at the back and my table at the front. It will be great to see how you organize your space!

Great space! What did you use to finish the floors? 

Congrats and please post your quilting progress.

I showed the photos to my DH and his comment was that while I have a great space (separate add-on to a garage with heat/air/windows) it more closely resembles your before pics rather than the after ones! I need to clean!

Linda,

I apologise for not answering your question sooner, missed it the first time around.  The floor covering is Rust-Oleum High Traffic Concrete and Garage Acrylic Coating, you can get it at Lowes or HD.  I rolled on two coats (12x24) and still have enough left from one gallon to do touchups.  They claim it covers in one coat, but I could see where I changed directions with the roller...a second coat took care of that.   

Trinity,

The bookcases are next, well shelving actually.  I'm going to repurpose those cluttered shelves you saw in my first post.  They're actually cedar and came from a bookstore that went out of business back in the late 80's and have moved with me three times.  I originally thought about replacing them with IKEA bookcases but didn't have the heart to throw them away...they've served me well for over 25 years. 

Wow, 8" to get around your machine....as you can see I need a lot more wiggle room than that! 

I'll keep you posted as to how all that space will eventually disappear.

In answer to your rail question...mine are/were (who knew how much rubbing alcohol one could use up!) fairly dirty and somewhat abraded (some shiny spots, which may occur in shipping?) but I did not have any deep scratches that I was aware of (yet)...I am actually going for an award on setup time...I'll post about that separately. 

Archived