Running into the leveler bar

Carol I do not have a computer system on my machine, but am pretty sure you would need to set the boundaries of the stitch area before you start to quilt.

Also your design would need to be no more than 15"  wide so that you have enough room for the bulk of the quilt to wind onto back roller etc.

My IQ is new also but I think it doesn't know where the quilt is.   When you first get started with your new design, it asks you to touch a reference point and then put your needle at the same spot and I use the top left corner.  I think this is before you start adding in your patterns.

Hopefully someone more experienced will help you.

My Iq was running all around until I figured this out.  

Carol - you have to make sure the pattern you've decided to stitch out is the right size for your stitching area.  Say you load a pantograph.  It will default to 12" in height, which your Millennium should handle just fine, but if it's a pattern that undulates and nests together, the height of the overall design is bigger.  Pay attention to that when you put the pattern together.  When you realign your quilt, use a point near the center of the quilt, and make sure that you've not advanced the quilt so far that the next row will run into the leveler bar.  I guarantee you that, if you tell your IQ where you are on the pattern, it will know where it is.  You might want to try watching some of the videos at IQ Demos.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts!  I have tried reducing the row ht. to l0 inches just to stay within the throat space on my Mille, but still ran into the bar--didn;t know to watch out for undulations, however.  I must need to take into account the highest point of the undulation to the lowest point of its pattern:???  How far back from the leveler bar do you think I should be stopping my advancing when I advance the quilt?  That might be another factor that is entering into it. 

Linda--thank you for your email--I'm wondering if the system has my old email address because although your reply showed up in my current email address, your message with phone # has not.  My current email address is:  seamsso@ca.rr.com.  Happy New Year, BTW.  

Carol, everyone has given you good advice, so if you are stilling running into the bar it does sound like you maybe are not rolling the quilt far enough.

When I advance my quilt I only leave a very small part of the last row showing. Enough pattern so that I am able to realign of the previous stitched row.

If it still keeps happening you maybe need to re calibrate your IQ.

I have had this problem myself, for me it was usually caused by not choosing the correct row to realign with.

Hi Carol,

I would like to tell you that I have experienced the same thing when first using my IQ. I was not remembering the machine head has to fit behind the start point and/or travel to the furthest top of the row I wanted to stitch. I found a simple solution to estimating the distance I needed to leave in front of the dead bar. After you finish a row, look back along where you just stitched to the bottom of the row you just stitched, in center area where you intend to realign to. Put down a corsage pin on that spot. Roll your quilt onto the take up bar, leaving the pin anywhere from 3 inches to 6 inches in front of the take up bar. Position your machine head between the pin and takeup bar to gauge if you have the clearance needed for the next row to be stitched. I usually roll the quilt again at this point, another 1/2 inch toward the belly bar as insurance I'm leaving enough space. You always have to remember the machine head takes up some of your quilting space too. I was really surprised when I first realised that I could not quilt all the way back to the dead bar.  :o

Thank you, everyone ~ Whew now that the holiday are over I can get back to trying out your suggestions.  Corey--we live in Corona, CA.  I will be in touch.  Don't know the distance to Bakersfield, but would love to come over some day and see what you've been able to do with the same machine as I have and same Bliss, same IQ.  Would that be an imposition?

Thank you all!

Carol

Hi Carol,

Come over one day, just let me know when. We are hoping my studio flooring will be done by Saturday, then I could have my Milli & all the Longarming stuff & quilts moved to their proper space.

Are you planning to go to Road to Ca?

Carol,

It does sound like you haven't realigned IQ to your pattern. The realign/restart functions are the foundation of everything you do with IQ. Getting used to those two functions and the differences between them are some of the very first things you'll need to master with your IQ. It isn't hard and once it "clicks" for you it will be second nature. 

Do contact your dealer and let them know you are having difficulties so they can walk you through the steps- that is what they are there for. :)

Also, (forgive me for the mention but I know it would help you), You might also consider taking the IQ Mastery Class 1: Baby Steps course. It is 3+ hours of video instruction for IQ. Each lesson is broken down into 10 minute chunks. You can even watch the first lesson free to get a feel for how the course works.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived