Road to California show

• 2 weeks later...

I am here!!  I haven't been on the forum lately, started a new full time job.  But I am HERE! and looking forward to a week all about quilting.  I'm taking 5 classes, oh my :).  Jodi Robinson, Myrna Ficken, Karen Sievert, and Angela Walters are all teachers I'm taking classes from. 

AQS comes to Arizona…we're so excited.  You can get all the details at the American Quilters Society website.  It's the second weekend in February.  There are some great teachers teaching and some incredible quilters competing in the show.  Come if you can!

I went on Saturday and had a great time. So many of the quilts were amazing!

Nancy, I saw your quilt, Shapeshifter. It was beautiful. I saw the Honorable Mention ribbon also! Congratulations! I took pictures with my camera, but haven't figured out how to get them into Flickr. : (

It was a beautiful and fun day with my good friend, Rose. : )

Road 2 CA was fantastic! I saw the most amazing quilts, so many of them well beyond my modest skill level, and I enjoyed the vender mall. The quilts were outstanding, I believe this was the best show I have had the pleasure of attending. I did not take classes, not because I don't need them, especially after seeing the talent displayed at this show, I really don't know why I don't like taking classes. I finally gave up on taking pictures of the quilts and just enjoyed them. My husband, all round great guy, didn't tap his toes once waiting for me, he enjoyed the show as well and toted my purchases for me. Quilting has been elevating for years into such an art form, there is a division occurring in quilting and this show was announcing it loud and clear. Art vs. Utility, even pretty utility just pales in the shadow of art quilts and quilting. I am torn about that, the quilts I love are all utility quilts, the quilts I never get tired of looking at are the art quilts. Sooooo, should I be trying to turn my Millie into an overgrown thread paint brush, learn to dye my own special fabrics, attempt to do anything by hand, or keep making those useable utility quilts to the best of my ability? Oh yes, I don't really have to decide, I can do both if I develop the skill sets! Do I want to? Probably not, I have barely begun to feel comfortable/confident with the utility quilting I do and enjoy. I am so proud of the quilting world and to be a small part of it. It is great to be able to say we love what we are doing and go to shows like this and bask in glow of all the talent!

Archived