Depends. Is it a square or a rectangle, sometimes an oval for the long side a circle would be too big. I have one of Dusty Farrels I use a lot it has various size circles on it, and such, and I also have a ruler from Handi Quilter it has a straight edge as well as a circle. But I use the itty bitty a lot also. I could do without all my other rulers as long as I had those.

Shirley

When I need a template for CC's I use a Quilter's Rule set of nested templates called Dragon Scales. Four different-sized templates which have one outside curve and two inside curves--- they look like a clamshell. What makes them especially easy is you can stitch the left side CC and the bottom CC with the outside curve and then the top and right side CCs with the inside curve. This allows you to use the template always in your left hand and to the left or bottom of the hopping foot. No awkward above-the-foot or on the right side stitching. 

Yikes! A ruler?

I don't use a ruler.

I haven't done any that were so big that I couldn't mark the center point I want to hit and use the intersections as guides.

I guess if the block was too big to get it reasonably uniform, the circles are a good idea.

I'm supposed to use a ruler for cc's......ooops missed that memo.

LOL!  :lol:  There are no memos and no rules. No rules. You can do whatever you want. Freehand those CCs if you want to. Just do what you are most comfortable with. Sometimes I use a ruler. Sometimes I dont. Sometimes it's fun to quilt dangerously!  :D

Archived