Motor racing

I was forced, due to hand and back problems, to abandon my Millie for the last several months, since September really. I am finally well enough to get back to machine quilting, but Millie has not having it!

Before I stopped quilting, I gave her a good cleaning and then parked her out of the way, unplugged her, and covered her completely with her blankie.

Yesterday, I checked oil wicks before I turned her on, started her up slowly, with a warm up of about 9spi, and ran her for about 5 minutes, then put her in SR mode to warm up SR and right out of the gate the motor went into overdrive. Scared me to death(!) so I shut her down. I had put on a practice sandwich, so I did some stitching in unregulated mode and everything seemed fine, but when I switched to SR mode the motor would be stitching fine and all of a sudden jump to warp speed.

This morning i was hoping she had miraculously had an overnight cure. I warmed her up a bit, tried SR mode, and the same thing happened.

I checked the motor brushes and cleaned them, cleaned the encoder wheels, the rails, the rail wheels, oiled the bobbin then tried again. And, as I was warming her up, unregulated, I gradually moved the psi up, and when I got to between 11 and 13 API, the motor took off. So much for it being a SR problem.

Not sure what else I should check, any suggestions? Is it time to call Amy?

Thanks, Dave, hopefully a quick fix, I am so ready to do some machine quilting! I have been able to piece off and on so the list of tops just grows and grows.

A very belated Happy New Year to all of you on the forum and at APQS. I am sorry I have not been participating on the forums lately, just lurking once in a while. I was not even able to talk quilting for a while! Then the wild and crazy holidays, glad I am on the other side of the new year!

Zeke, if you are asking about my machine, I don't have a clue, I thought I put her away well!

If you are asking about me, so far, fortunately, it is probably just age. Every doctor I have seen says "but you are very healthy, so your hands will get better". I have arthritis in my thumbs, and in the process of getting my right hand better, I did something to my left hand and wrist, so that I could not use it at all. Later my upper back started giving me problems, but physical therapy is helping a lot with that, and my therapist suspects that my back is part of the problem with my hands. Waiting for results from an MRI of my left hand, and in the meantime, I am splinting up and trying to get back into my quilting, knittIng, and typing on the computer! Now if I can just figure out Millie.

Jim, I am going to try totally unplugging as you suggested, maybe a complete power down will help. But she was acting up in unregulated mode if I cranked up the speed to 11-13 .

I am back to work, this week is a bear, so I don't know when I will have time to call Amy, it may have to be next week so I am hoping this has an effect.

Yay, my Millie is running but not racing, we are so lucky to have Amy!!

I finally got home today early enough to give Amy a call, and she called me back even though it was after 5 central time.

She gave me a couple of things to try and one of them worked. Unfortunately I am not sure which, but it was either blowing out the area behind the optical wheel attached to the motor, or a very slight adjustment I made to the wheel itself.

Anyway, I spent my first hour in a long time just swirling and feathering around a practice piece and felt grand!

Thank you APQS and Amy!

Archived