Waxing rails...

I know bliss probably doesn't need waxing or polishing, but was wondering if anyone has polished or waxed the rails and noticed any improvement, both on bliss or on the Lenni black steel table?

It can't hurt though can it? I was watching a video on you tube by Jamie wallen which was interesting, I know it's different rails but was just wondering if anyone uses these waxes and polishes that are suitable?

It was recommended for cleaning expo white board cleaner and renaissance wax? Are these products safe on our wheels etc? Am guessing yes if they are safe elsewhere..

I have a Millie and Bliss table.  I cleaned my carriage and wheels with alcohol, and it was still like moving a ten ton truck around.  In desperation, I tried cleaning my carriage with stainless steel polish made for my refrigerator; I wiped it on and wiped it off.  My machine moves freely when I do that.  I don't know if that is approved by APQS, but it is the only way I found where my machine moves the way it should.

I have a Millie and Bliss table.  I cleaned my carriage and wheels with alcohol, and it was still like moving a ten ton truck around.  In desperation, I tried cleaning my carriage with stainless steel polish made for my refrigerator; I wiped it on and wiped it off.  My machine moves freely when I do that.  I don't know if that is approved by APQS, but it is the only way I found where my machine moves the way it should.

Lynn, your 10-ton truck description --- this seems odd to me. It should not be like this. Something is not set or adjusted correctly,... could it be your wheels? Or your table is out of square? or not level? Something isn't adding up right. It's even possible you have a bad wheel bearing some place....

Any way, with Bliss, your machine should move easily by barely touching the handles... and it should slide around the table like a hot knife through butter.

Contact APQS to go through troubleshooting.

Linda,

Is it harmful to use the alcohol every day for cleaning. That is how I was taught by my dealer and also think I remember it was in the manual. If I can get away with not doing it every time, that would be fine with me ;-) I also use the alcohol on a microfiber cloth to clean in the groove in the black wheels on the carriage. Is that ok? When watching the training manual when you first get your machine, it sounds like you will be doing maintenance cleaning that will take you half a day. 

Whatever:  I wouldn't wax the rails on your Ult 2, just clean with alcohol.  If you really want to improve the cleanliness on your machine, take the rails off your table and have them hard anodized by a local plater.  It will eliminate the black aluminum oxide the shows up on them.  Significantly reduces the frequency of cleaning.  Gets rid of the black "tracks" when you accidently roll the carriage over a quilt back.  Jim

Sandy K a quick wipe down of the Bliss rails every day gets the accumulated dust off them from batting etc.  My routine of rails, wheels, bobbin, oil etc doesn't take more than 10 minutes.

The old rails pre Bliss loved a thorough clean to get rid of the black stuff daily but that rub down only added a few minutes.

You do not need to rub down your rails with rubbing alcohol every day. I only do it every few days or once a week to keep the oxidation from building up. The other times I am using the machine, I just wipe down with a lightly dampend cloth /paper towel or I wipe with windex just to keep the dust bunnies, fuzz under control.

Also with the bliss rubber wheels (M&Ms) I don't like to use alcohol on them. I just wipe with a damp cloth or Q tip.

Thanks for the reply, Shana.  I think I remember when I first got the Bliss that my machine did move really freely.  That was so long ago I barely remember it now!  I have pondered if my wheels were worn or something, and thought about maybe trying some new wheels; that's about all I can think of that would be wrong, nothing else has changed.  I think I'll have to invest in a new set of wheels now while I'm between quilts.  Thanks for spurring me back to action on this problem!!

I remember Myrna a while back saying NOT to wax if you have bliss, I think it will ruin the wheels...the steel black frame I don't know about...I do know that they say it's not necessarily necessary to wax the old aluminum frame like I have with my Ultimate 1...but I discovered early on it makes a BIG difference in movement for me.  I have edgeriders too so I don't know how much that effects wether or not waxing will help or not.  They used to have you wax to prevent that oxidation buildup...I don't think it makes any difference for me, I wax pretty much just for the benefit of movement it gives...about once every two or three quilts...more for an intense quilt.  :)

Archived