Quilt Path trouble opening imported files - help file added

Sharon M

I have downloaded several different designer digital files, (from One Song Needle Arts, My Creative Stitches, & Digitech)  started with the free ones just to see how the process worked.  These were all .qli files, and I had no trouble at all importing them into Quilt Path.  When I go to "Select and Sew PATTERN", and try to open my imported file, it stalls and crashes the program.  Sometimes it will just stall for a few minutes, and then QP tells me "out of safe area"  when I have already set the safe area.  Try to reset safe area, and it will stall and eventually crash. Sometimes I get a pop-up that says something like  "Quilt Path is not responding, the program will now close"   Or it will just simply freeze the tablet, and I will have to do a hard restart.  I've spent practically all weekend resetting safe area and rebooting my tablet.  :wacko:   What I really want to do now is boot the whole thing out the door!

However, if I open the same imported file by going to "Select and Sew PANTOGRAPH", and then click on my imported file, it will open, and if I then select "stitch as a single pattern" I can set the block and stitch it out.   

Is this a software problem? or does "Select and Sew PATTERN"  just not work with imported files???   Do I always need to be in panto stacker to open and quilt an imported file, even if I just want a triangle or square motif??  or should I have chosen a different file format to import?  I don't get it.  Confused and frustrated!!    Only happens with imported files, the ones that came with QP work fine. 

I work full time, and have very little time to quilt during the week, so weekends it is....  is hard for me to contact Grace Co...or whoever it is I should be calling. 

I would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations....  thank you! 

Sharon, I haven't had any trouble using imported files, both in "Select and sew PATTERN" and in "Select and sew PANTO."  You might try starting with a different file format to import (dxf, hqf, or one of the others QP accepts), although I have successfully imported .qli files without problems. You can send emails to Grace Co. or to Dawn Cavanaugh, describing your issues.  Which version of Quilt Path are you using?

I don't have QP yet, but I will next month. I've been playing with downloading, extracting, and the free demo program, etc. just to get the process down. I contacted Dawn by email asking about the preferred file format and yes she mentioned .qli as first preference.

But she also mentioned something else as I recall. She suggested opening new designs under the design and create menu in order to check out the file. Not sure if that will make a difference in your situation or not. But it might be something to try anyway. Wish I knew more.

Sharon,

Are these just pretty standard block files?  Have you tried re-importing one that you are having difficulty with to see if maybe the import did not go well?  If you have not rebooted your tablet, do that too.  It could be as simple as Windows being stuck in loop, but rebooting should fix that.  

Select and sew works with imported files on my end.  I just finished a quilt that I used 3 different imported designs on 91 blocks. (1 per block)  I used Select and Sew for 2 days with no errors using version 3.05.04.    

Thank you all for your replies! 

Barb and Shirley....my version is 3.05.04.   I'm assuming that is the most recent?  My Quilt Path arrived in the midst of Christmas preparations, have not actually done anything on a real quilt yet... so far just playing on muslin.  Thank you for the tip about emailing....I will message you Shirley, for a contact person, if I don't get this figured out.

Georgene, I just tried opening in Design & Create... (I'm in simulation mode at the moment)  and that did work.  Still so new at this, haven't figured out how to get it to quilt from there.  Thanks for the tip though, and best of luck to you with your Quilt Path.  I so want to love this program!  LOL

And thanks Angela, yes they are fairly simple blocks.  I have imported and deleted and reimported and deleted and reimported until I'm blue in the face!!  I even tried importing from different screens, (Design and Create Pattern, Design and Create Pantograph)  ... I re-downloaded the files to my laptop a couple times, and unzipped again...then transferred to USB stick to import again on the Surface tablet.... And rebooted many many times.   I was just about to try different file formats tonight, but got tied up on the phone, so I will try again tomorrow night (it's my bedtime :P)    And BTW... I started working through your panto lesson on your Blog.... loved learning new things... although I didn't get it completed last night... chose a different font than what you used, and ran into trouble cuz the start stitching spot on the number was in the middle somewhere, couldn't figure out how to move it and gave up before I figured that maybe I should have drawn my loopy line through the start point???....  I'll work on that...LOL   Thank you so much for blogging about Quilt Path... it's a huge help! 

Anyways... thanks to all of you for your suggestions... I will report back after I've played around some more. 

There is a QuiltPath version 3.05.05 that can be uploaded. It's a feature in the Help system. I had trouble going uploading to the tablet but worked fine going to a memory stick. The install came with updated USB drivers as well. I didn't upload those because I can't find a button the process expects me to push but at least new QuiltPath version.  Speaking of help files does your help button "Help on topics" bring up a menu? Mine just brings up a file folder of different help files.

tom

Hi Tom, thanks for your reply.  When I click on Help, I get a little menu that has 4 choices...."About", "Help Topics", "License Agreement" and "Self Test".  The Help Topics just takes me to a pdf file....although nothing in the line of solving a problem that I have seen.  Where did you go to find the new version?

Has anyone else installed the newest version?  .....don't think I can play around with this tonight, having a relapse of cold/flu :wacko:

I received a lengthy and very detailed email from customer service at Grace Co  and was assured that my system is running correctly, and was also offered a simple solution to the problem.  I can't seem to copy/paste the email in this post...(it appears computers don't like me lately)... however, to quickly summarize.... digital pattern files are sized at whatever size chosen by the person who made it... in my case, I got some very large files which when opened in Select and Sew Pattern, take quite some time to load and can cause the system to hang.  I was given very easy step by step instructions on how to resize and save the imported files at a more usable size in the future.  I tried this tonight (in simulation mode) on at least 4 of the qli files I imported, and it worked every time in Select & Sew Pattern, without fail.... no more system stalls, no more "outside safe area", no more crashing/rebooting. 

If anyone experiences the same issues I had, feel free to message me and I can forward the sanity saving ^_^ email I received from Grace Co.

Thanks to everyone on the forum for suggestions, and to Dawn for interceding for me....and a huge thanks to Chris at Grace Co for excellent support!  I'm a happy quilter again, and looking forward to bonding with Quilt Path!  :D

• 3 weeks later...

Sharon,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the import pattern feature for those specific patterns! I know you work during the day, but I'm sending the Grace company a link to this thread so that they can see how they can help (perhaps through an email.)

Dawn -

Sharon is away on vacation an unable to forward the email she rec'd from Grace detaiing how to address this problem (importing patterns and using them without hanging up QP).

I THINK I figured it out and seem to be able import and use files but would like to see these instructions to be sure.

Could you forward them to me?

Thanks!

Beth C

Hi all,
it seems there are quite a few people experiencing the same problem I had importing files, I have had quite a number of requests to forward the email I got from Grace Company. 
I have tried numerous times to copy/paste that email into this post, but for some reason it just won't work.... so I've decided to copy/paste it in a word document....(sorry, I don't have a pdf creator on my laptop). Anyways, I will try to add the word document as an attachment
If this doesn't work, could I trouble one of you who received the email from me to add those instructions here please?  It would be so good if others could come here for the solution.

also... if anyone knows if there are any settings I need to change in the forum to allow the copy/paste function to work, could you let me know?  I used to be able to do it.... 

edited... managed to get a pdf file, hope it works! 

Quilt Path Help.pdf

Thanks Sharon for posting that.  I've printed it for my QP help folder.

And Karen, I watched your videos this morning while having coffee and breakfast.  Thanks so much for doing them.  I learn something new everything I read or watch.  Hopefully I'll be at least near ready when it all arrives.

I don't know what's going on with the Demo Version on line.  I'm still getting an error message when trying to download.  I was hoping they were going to put the newer .05 version on their as a demo???

• 2 weeks later...

Archived