Stack a New Deck Quilt

A couple days ago I quilted my 5th top on the longarm. This time I tried out the computer rather than hand-guided. Boy was that a different experience. I was able to choose a much more complex pattern that would probably have taken me three times as long to quilt out. As it was, it only took a little less time than it did for me to quilt each of the four earlier quilt tops. Since this pattern had circles we couldn't do it as an E2E but instead we repeated the pattern and told the computer where the boundaries were for each roll.

The top was pieced back in 2005 or 2006 and is a design from Karla Alexander's "Stack a New Deck" book ... cover pattern. Sadly that was back when I got back into quilting and tried to cut corners by not measuring the borders. When I unfolded it last week I cringed and knew that they had to be ripped out and re-sewn properly. Can you imagine that the short sides were 6" too long and the long sides were 6" too short?! I have no idea how I managed that but am really glad that I took the time to make it right.

The quilting design is called Waterdrops Simple by Natalia Majors. I love how the circles contrast with all the squares/rectangles. The thread is Signature ... I think the color is Stone Blue, a blue/grey.

I'm planning on a dark red/orange for the binding. If I knew how to add piping I would probably add the light orange batik as a contrast.

And nope, I didn't plan on bringing in a blue quilt to match the blue machine head. Just a happy coincidence. :-)

post-18162-0-48679900-1389932826_thumb.jpg

post-18162-0-02821800-1389932874_thumb.jpg

post-18162-0-06256900-1389932889_thumb.jpg

post-18162-0-92209700-1389932894_thumb.jpg

Tami, your quilt looks beautiful!  Definitely smart to take the time to fix your borders.  And I think the piping would look great with the binding.

There is a technique called Pipping Hot Binding (or something similar), for which you can find information on-line.  Based on what I'm seeing here, I'm sure you can master that, too!

Nice quilt, love the colors. Nice big studio too. K

Thanks K ... the big studio is nice but doesn't belong to me. It's at Jukebox Quilts in Ft Collins, CO. They sell and rent time on Gammills. It's actually a rather LARGE outbuilding ... on the other side of the wall of quilts is the other half where the machines are serviced. Plus there's more space to the right of the machines. Wouldn't you just swoon over such an impressive space? I'd have bi-weekly gatherings of friends coming over to sew.  ;-)

Archived