The Quilt with the Dragon Tattoo by Nancy Arseneault 2014

Mrs.A

Hi everyone…thanks so much for all your kind words.  I worked on that quilt for a full year, showing it to almost no one.  It was so gratifying to get a great response from the judges & viewers at the Tucson Quilt Fiesta.  Now all of you have really made my week!

Lyn…What are you thinking?  A trilogy of dragon quilts?  I think not!  This is NOT the first in my dragon series…it's a one & done.  After it is sent to a few shows, the quilt will go to the tattoo artist responsible for the original image.  She's become a friend and my husband actually commissioned me to make it as a wedding gift for her.  I get to keep the dragon image forever, though.  He has similar ones tattooed on his ribcage.  :D

Sylvia…I used two different machine appliqué techniques on the quilt…Sharon Schamber's invisible machine appliqué which is turned edge & zig zagged with monofilament (I used 100 weight silk instead) and also Jane Sassaman's method which involves fusing interfacing to the back of each piece before satin stitching the raw edges.  A topstitch with thick thread (I used 28 weight cotton) is then applied to both sides of the satin stitch to make the edges really clean looking.  It's labor intensive but I just couldn't get the hang of hand appliqué.  I use the Sassaman method on all my Dia de los Muertos quilts.

Nothing on the quilt is painted.  All commercially available cotton fabrics - everything came from the stash except the background fabric and the backing.

Anyway, thanks so much to all of you who commented.  It is heartwarming.  :wub:           Nancy in Tucson

post-2938-0-36441800-1390570322_thumb.jpgLOL…you guys are too much!

Annie: Nope, this quilt won't be at the new AQS Phoenix show next month.  The submit deadline interfered with the Tucson show…gotta support your local Guild first, right?  I put two other quilts into the Phoenix show…based on the names of the quilters involved, it promises to to be a great show.

Thanks for all your encouragement.  I love this forum!   Nancy in Tucson

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for that, Debbie!  Did you attend the show yesterday?  This is my first time entering MQX East.  I understand that their entries were up by 30% this year so I am delighted to have won a ribbon in very esteemed company!  Just wish they had spelled my name correctly (an extra e in the last name) but oh well.  Thanks to Stacy Koehler…can't wait to see the judges' comments!  Nancy in Tucson

• 3 years later...

Archived