need ideas for pyramid quilt

My good friend pieced this beauty.  Lucky me, I get to quilt it and she wants the quilting to be glorious. 

Her only request is that I quilt it in a way that emphasizes the bigger triangles, or pyramids.  She's worried that when this lays on her bed, her eyes will be drawn to the rows of blocks, and she wants to be drawn to the triangles.  Hope that makes sense.

It's a queen size, individual triangles are about 3.5" on the sides.

Any ideas are welcome.  I haven't got a clue how to emphasize the triangles.  I also have not started doodling.....I do expect to make some pretty feathers in that dark blue border.  And I enjoy point to point triangle designs.  I'm thinking semi custom, no crazy dense fills.

Thread color suggestions are also welcome.  I don't mind changing threads for this one.

Thanks!

post-4164-0-49983700-1390686892_thumb.jpg

post-4164-0-75586800-1390686917_thumb.jpg

post-4164-0-84120200-1390686934_thumb.jpg

Hi Annie,

If you go to APQS Blog June or July, Dawn has the same pattern, some ideas how she treated the triangles. Very interesting quilting.

I have a personal quilt that I am halfway done piecing, from City Scenes by Cherry House. Very modern because of all the solids she used, yet the same equilateral triangle. I will be quilting mine similar to hers, modern.

As for the thread, I would audition any light grey by Filtec or some colors that might interest you & your friend.

When I look at this one, and heaven knows I am NO expert, I see the diamonds made of light and dark. I think I might start with the center diamond and feather like what Cathy linked to. Then I would do a treatment around that in the surrounding diamonds circling that. Maybe feathers or some sort of interesting design. Then work out from there. Lyn's idea is also great and would make for a lot of interest. Whatever you choose please share it. I will be looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Thanks everyone.  Great ideas all around.

Wow, look at those feathers in the triangles in Cathy's link.  I could do that.

Corey, I'll look up the blog to see what Dawn did.  My mind doesn't go modern, so seeing an example will help me a lot.

Lyn, I'll doodle the spiral triangles.  Hadn't thought of that. 

Sharon, I'm liking your direction too.  I could feather the center diamond, then do something more geometric around it.  .....  more to doodle:-))

Thanks again.  And anyone else please chime in.  I'm not in a hurry to start, just gathering ideas right now.

I could see a design using CCs--in the large triangles--and then filling the center pinched triangle with the same graceful design in each. The petal shape of the curves between the seams will isolate the large triangles and provide texture. As for the design in the centers, the lovely feathers shown on the quilt Cathy linked to would be wonderful. And the smaller area easier and quicker to fill. I love the grading of color in this quilt and can't wait to see it finished.

Wouldn't emphasizing the dark triangle with maybe line dancing or feathers and muting the light colored one with a design that will fill it so it is put in the background work?   A close meander.. don't think I'd use McTavishing.. maybe wrong on that.. something to well fill it so it doesn't stick out.. let the emphasis stitching be in the dark.

Linda, thank you for adding to the ideas.  I will definitely draw up some cc designs for the larger triangles.  I like that it will break up the rows as my friend is concerned about.  And only doing a "graceful design" in the center triangles saves much time.  I love that term, "graceful". :)

Jo, Charlotte and Rita, I think you are all on the same path, with alternating designs in the dark and light triangles.  I will draw some of those out too and see how they look.

I love this forum!  You all rock.  

Thanks for contributing.  If you think of more, send them in.

Archived