There are panto's and stencils and groovy boards, and computer programs, or ruler use, and double confident freehand.

I'm up to using computer.   It is going to depend on what you are comfy with, and suits your use and budget the most.  As far as I know, only the computer and ruler techniques are able to be changed for the size of the block.

Good luck in your search.

Rita

I love Circle Lord too!  I have the R&S Baptist fan boards (already had them) and prefer their size!

Doodlebug did a "freehand" Baptist fan once, it's under the topic:  My 30s Swap is a Quilt

Or just search for "doodlebug freehand Baptist fan" she has a link to her blog too, where I'm sure she included instructions for it.

Cathy

Hi Rita. The Topper sits at the front and works well with block pattern boards from any manufacturer. The long boards don't work well because of size constraints. Better to use the long boards from the back. But thanks for the plug!!  ;)

Linda Rech

Finely Finished Quilts

Millennium on Bliss rails--hand-guided

http://www.topperquilttools.com

I'm another R & S fan. I like their prices better. All of my boards have been wonderful. I've never had to call them but have emailed with quick reply even on weekends. Just got my quilt cam this Saturday from them. He told me to call even on Sunday if I had any questions. No more working from the back of machine for me. Double Baptist fan is going to be my next purchase from R&S. Good luck in your search. So many fun quilting tools out there for us.

Wanda

Lake View,Iowa

Quilting with Patience (2004 Millennium) since 2013

I will be honest, the very thing I did not like about the CL boards is that the lines did not line up exactly to the big curve on the fan, there is a little gap there and being a person that likes something to look close to hand quilted I did not like that.  I bought the R&S boards and those do go back and go over the big curve as you make the fan but then I found that it was very hard to keep them exactly on the line because fabric moves, maybe the boards move when you are using the groove…?  But I had to go back and rip out a bunch of lines that looked like they almost met but did not quite…(One of my downfalls is that I am a perfectionist with the quilting, I wanted my customer's quilt to look perfect)…there is nothing wrong with the boards, maybe I was doing something wrong…?  So I went back to the CL boards and used those and decided that they really do make the fans look the best when it is quilted since there are no lines that have to backtrack over each other exactly…so it turns out that the thing I thought I didn't like about them ends up being what brings me back to liking and using them….go figure!

All that to say that some things work better for some people and other things work better for others…you just have to find the thing that works best for you!  So try them all before you make a decision if you can.

aedc2cc10e0045c5397509e8f6b74d4d.png

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sewmanyquiltssewlittletime/

Proud Millie Owner!

Sew Many Quilts - Sew Little Time

Custom Long Arm Quilting

Heidi,

Thanks for posting the video. It was really helpful to see how you quilt the last row. I have figured out how to to use a pattern board in a block, from the front, but not across the quilt. I'm left with a couple of questions: What do you do when you're quilting from the front and you get to the end of a pattern board, but there is still quilt width to be quilted? Do you mark registration points and move the Topper along? Also, how long is your extension arm?

Thanks,

Heidi Patterson

APQS Blissed Millennium with Quilt Path

APQS Sales Rep - Educator - Authorized Service Rep

Boise, Idaho

208-861-5018 (cell)

Heidi I have a longer arm for my Quiltazoid and that is what I use and it covers the width of the board.  You stop with needle down and then move the QZ forward and then start again.  I'll be honest with you it is a little more time consuming than having enough boards for the back of the machine but the advantage is that you are at the front of the machine and you can easily see if you're not lined up or the quilt has moved.  Here is the link for Baptist Fan 2 if you didn't see that there was a part 2.  

Heidi,

Thanks for posting this, wish I could have seen this when I first got the BF boards…but still good info..I think there is still a lot of lining up to do but I love a good BF on a quilt!  I don't know how she doesn't watch the boards and stylus...

aedc2cc10e0045c5397509e8f6b74d4d.png

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sewmanyquiltssewlittletime/

Proud Millie Owner!

Sew Many Quilts - Sew Little Time

Custom Long Arm Quilting

I only use my Circle Lord Baptist fan board from the back.... When I owned a shop I carried other brands and used them all.... Cost comparisons and ease of use? Circle Lord. The smaller boards require you to move the board (if you only buy one) and that is a challenge and time consuming to do. You need at least 4-6 boards... Some of the boards are just not a really well designed path... NO SLAMMING TO ANYONE'S PRODUCT... Just my opinion from the different boards that I have purchased and tried on my own machine.

I would suggest that if you want to break into the Circle Lord get the stylus and the Swirls boards (queen or king) to fit your largest quilt size.... It only takes about 2 quilts to pay this off and with Michael's 12 month, no interest payment plan.... I just added a few new boards to my arsenal this last week during Michael's sale...What are you waiting for???

Just to be clear, I am not affiliated with Circle Lord, just a really happy customer for over 8 years! When I can't custom, or my customers do not want to pay for custom, I Circle Lord!

Trinity Burak • Meridian, Idaho • APQS Millie • CircleLord • "Precise" Pantograph System

www.2sistersquilting.com • www.precisepantographsystem.com • https://www.facebook.com/PrecisePantographSytem

trinity@2sistersquilting.com or pps@2sistersquilting.com

post-1404-0-62833500-1400123902_thumb.jpg

Trinity Burak • Meridian, Idaho • APQS Millie • CircleLord • "Precise" Pantograph System

www.2sistersquilting.com • www.precisepantographsystem.com • https://www.facebook.com/PrecisePantographSytem

trinity@2sistersquilting.com or pps@2sistersquilting.com

post-1404-0-62833500-1400123902_thumb.jpg

I also use the R&S boards.  It takes a little while to get the hang of things, but the effort is really worth it.  As an all over pattern on so many quilt tops, BF and swirls are hard to beat.

Lynn Founatin

Fountain Fiber Arts, LLC

fountainfiber@bellsouth.net

Remember - you can get a stylus from Michael that fits your CL holder (front and back) and has a smaller tip for the R&S boards (and others I assume)!  I like the way the CL stylus is weighted and drops directly into the slot - only having compared 1 other stylus that was a little flimsy (long time ago, probably don't make that one and have improved others!).  I like CL and R&S boards!

Cathy

I love my CL baptist fan boards!  They are effortless to use, and make the quilting look SO special!  I also have the smaller tip stylus from CL so I can use with boards from other makers.  Works great!

<p>Vickie Oliver Beachside Quilter APQS Rep SW FL 2013 New Gen Millennium, Quilt Path

239-209-0990. Beachsidequilter.com