I did a quilt yesterday and I noticed that twice there was a longer loop of thread on the stitch at the back.  Only twice.  The rest of the stitches looked fine.  I have quilted hundreds of quilts and have never had this issue.  Any ideas where to begin to troubleshoot?  

Loops are more prevalent with me when using thicker thread--especially cotton. Diligently clean your bobbin case. A tiny speck of lint under the finger of the case can cause the thread to catch. Lift the finger gently and blow out with compressed air. Remove the backlash spring and wipe out with a Q-tip. Use magnification to inspect for any other guck and remove. Re-insert the backlash spring and try some stitching.

I will add that only two loops on the back of a whole quilt is actually pretty wonderful! When I inspect and groom the back, I'm tickled if I don't have a few fixes to make. To pull the loops under the backer you can use a tiny crochet hook to go under the backer and catch the loop. Try to pull it into the batting.

Archived