Need Suggestions Please

Hi Everyone,

Would love some suggestions on how to quilt this crazy quilt. Getting close to having it all sewn together, and I'm starting to worry about how to quilt it with all the seams. A panto I would imagine wouldn't be a good idea because of all the trim, so that is out. I've only had my Millie for a little over a year now, but I do feel comfortable with some of the easier free motion designs. Should I just outline each shape with a quarter inch seam, or maybe free motion in each shape??? I would love to hear what you all think.

Anyway, here is a picture below, hopefully ;-) This will be for my granddaughter in her favorite colors.

Thanks,

Sandy

post-8182-0-45013900-1391018086_thumb.jpg

I think you can do a variety of designs.  In the kite shape, echo the interior, put feathers in an other shape, and loops or CC and TT in another one.  This could be a chance to really practice and develop some skills and designs that you always wanted to do but weren't ready to do on a customer's quilt.  Since this is for a granddaughter, take the time to enjoy stitching plenty of love into it. It looks like you already have with the piecing.

I agree with Sylvia, a pretty panto! When you load the quilt and get your panto set up (should you chose to do one), I would mark the panto at each section just before you get to a "trim" section so that you can carefully guide the machine over the trim (did I see pom-pom trim?) without your hopping foot catching or flipping the trim the wrong direction.

Pretty quilt, BTW. Your granddaughter is a lucky gal!

I think an all over would be very pretty.  Choose a design you've been wanting to free motion.  I put an all over on a quilt last year that had some lace in the seams like you have.  I did a quick basting stitch with the long arm to tack the lace down before quilting over it.  That worked great.  After it was quilted, I took the basting out.  You'll probably be surprised at how easily you machine stitches over all of the seams and trim....even those little pom poms!

Thank you all so much for the feedback. Great suggestions. I still can't decide between the two. You all are almost split down the middle between panto and freemotion. I think I wanted you all to decide ;-) Still have to put the border on, so I will keep thinking about it.

Sandy

P.S. Do you think Tickle Two, http://kmquiltingsupply.net/shop/pantos/tickle-too/ would be a good choice??

You have to share!  I love those cornerstones - if that's just the fabric's print it really pops!  I would suggest semi-custom - Linda's cool 3 petal feathers in the light pink borders, a simple overall in the blocks (something flowery or whatever your specialty is) look at "Latest Quilt" started by Janette on another post that looks free hand and very pretty and you could avoid some of the trims; and whatever you put in the dark pink border won't show alot (piano keys or that custom overall)?  Where is Linda on this one?

Thanks Cathy for your input!

Originally I was going to do all the sashing like the cornerstones. It would have taken me forever. I layered the light pink print with a iron on backing to give support, then backed it with Steam Magic, then embroidered the all over design. After that you steam the back to make it shrink. After the first 6 hoopings, I decided to do just the cornerstones with what I had made so far. It saved a lot of work just doing the cornerstones, and I'm so glad it is done ;-) Now on to the fun part.

Archived