Taking a poll - Seam open or to one side?

I was visiting our local quilting shop yesterday and the girl in there asked me, "when piecing backs together for longarm quilting, do you want the seam pressed open or to one side?"

I have always pressed to one side.  What is the consensus and why - please?

Thanks for sharing all of your knowledge ahead of time!  :rolleyes:

From all the comments going both ways, it looks like it just doesn't matter! Everyone is getting good results doing it "their way" so don't mess with success!  :D

From a longarming standpoint, I love when my customers take off the selvedge and sew a wider seam. But I've been able to quilt with tiny seams, narrow seams where the selvedge is left on  :blink: , and seams pressed either way. Once it's quilted I don't imagine you can tell what's under there.

I am a fan of pressing to one side....I cut off the selvages, do a 1/2 inch seam and press to one side....I make quilts that will be used and washed often....so I think the pressed to one side is stronger....if I were to make a show quilt...I do think I would press seams open to make everything lay smoother....but...so far...my quilts end up a bit wonky so they are bed quilts....and I do love the thought of folks using my quilts!  Lin

If sewn by machine, I ask the gals to press them open, and for 5/8th inch seam.

If sewn by hand, press them to one side.. prevents the seam opening a bit at each stitch, also 5/8th seam.

I hate it when quilters use the salvages, and try to find a way to tell them why they are a No-No!

Most of the gals had never been told to Not use the salvages.. now most of them are using the right way.

One gal said she couldn't afford to throw them out.  I asked if she was ready to throw the quilt out, as with

so many pieces with salvages it would shrink and also feel different on the finished quilts.  She still uses

the salvages and has totally ignored the possible future problems.  So sad to waste all those $$$, not to

mention time.

Rita

I prefer the backing seam to be larger at least 1/2" and pressed open.  I ask my clients to do this to avoid any problems with the quilting process.  I have quilted 1/4" or less, seams pressed to one side...and I have found myself fighting the seams to make sure that it continues to lay to the side it was pressed to without twisting back and forth.  I have pressed these seams with steam and really watched them when rolling the quilt...all a PITA to do.  So, I ask for open and large seams, sure makes things easier.  Have never had any issues with my own well used quilts and these seams being weak.

I press open as many of the others here suggest and also 1/2" seams - to avoid bulk but also, it could be just me, but I think it's easier to keep the seam neat and straight as you go along.  I find sometimes when I've gotten to a seam down the center  of a backing I have to readjust just a bit so it stays straight...not much but just gently rolling my hands over the front roller bar and aligning that seam straight and open.

I do a lot of pieced backs and always press open because I think it is less bulky and also is easier to have them lay flat and not flip from one side to the other.

I agree with the idea, though, that to one side is probably better for durability. Maybe wider seams to one side and starched down would be better. I will have to try that.

Great discussion!

Archived