Quiltazoid Issue

jimerickson

Since Adam and Linda don't seem to be available anymore, I need some info about using my Quiltazoid with the Spiro attachment, so I come to you who have used the machine a lot.

The issue I have is the oreintation of the spirograph pattern when it's stitched out.  I recently did a double Irish chain quilt, and stitched spiros in the open area outside the "chain".  I chose an 8 loop pattern (when it was finished it looked kinda like a flower).  I think the "12 o'clock" and "6 o'clock" loops should have been perpendicular to the rollers, and the "3 o'clock" and "9 o'clock" should have been parallel to the rollers.  Well, they weren't.  The 12 o'clock was tilted to the left and the 6 o'clock was tilted the the right   The 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock were rotated slightly counter clockwise.  Why?  Has anyone else encountered this problem?  As you probably know, I have an Ult 2, and I don't know whether the smaller stitch area has anything to do with it or not. 

My guess is that inorder to get the pattern orientation shown in the Spiro guide and what I expected, the Spiro "arm" that attaches to my machine, must be perpendicular to the machine head.  The position of my Quiltazoid "turntable" is such that when the "arm" is mounted perpendicular to the machine, the back of the machine touches the take-up roller before the 6 o'clock loop can be finished.  I must angle the "arm" enough to allow for the machine travel necessary to stitch the pattern.  Do I have the cause of the orientation problem figured out?

I must say the pattern looks just fine, but it wasn't what I expected.  I must also say that I think the Quiltazoid is a great tool.  I just want to be able to control the outcome better.  Thanks for all the help.  Jim

An update on my Quiltazoid issue.  The angle of the attachment arm DOES affect the orientation of the spiro patterns.  By changing that angle, I was able to move the orientation from leaning left to leaning right.  I found an angle that produced a perpendicular and parallel pattern using the 8 loop pattern (G gear without ring), and marked my Quiltaxoid components so that the next time I want that particular orientation, I can adjust the Quiltazoid to do it.  BTW, on my table, the angle is not 90 degrees like I originally thought.

I was unable to change the orientation of the pattern by putting the spiro gear in any other location on the spiro path, so that doesn't seem to be at the heart of the issue.  Jim

Archived