12' or 14' table .. which one did you go with and why?

Tami

I don't think anyone with a 14' table will know if they needed the length.  Better to ask those with a 12 if they have ever run out of space.  We have one of each and maybe once in seven years and a thousand plus quilts has the 12 not been long enough.  The trend around here seems the quilts are getting wider all the time.  Go with the 14 if space allows, it is quite inexpensive to shorten if you move to a smaller studio down the road.  I don't know the price of new 14' rollers and rails but I bought a set of used rollers and  non bliss rails a couple of years ago and that ran about a thousand dollars then.

Nigel

I might not use all my 14' table but several times a year, but I have gotten clients because I was the only one with a machine big enough. If you have the room I would go with the 14'. I have a friend with a 12' table and she doesn't have room for anything bigger, but knows she can use mine when she needs.

Shirley

Once in nine years I had an issue with my 12" table not being wide enough. It was a repair job on a California King sized custom bedspread. I was able to carefully load and fix the problems. But never again--if it's too wide it needs to be taken to someone else. Never have I needed more space with customer quilts. That said, you might want to get the longer frame if you think you'll ever want to add a computerized system. I imagine it would be nice as well to have the extra room to park your machine when you have a big King on the frame.

Tami,

Quilt Path doesn't really take any more space then an extended base.  I have a 12 foot frame and will probably go to a 14 foot when I upgrade.  There have been a couple times when it would have been nice to have just a couple more inches on both ends of quilt when I needed my base on to custom quilt.   And it would be nice to be able to get the machine away from the quilt when I need to clean it and a quilt is on the frame.  I have been fine with my 12 foot, but there are some advantages to having a longer frame.  

I have a 12' table and a customer who brings me quilts that use up all the space available (I've done more than 10 for her in the past 3 years).  If I wanted to use my quiltazoid it would be very complicated on her quilts to do so.  I would get the 14' table if I had enough space just for the every now and then wish for more space.

I've had a 14 ft table for 7 years, but my new machine is coming next week with a 12 foot table. I rarely needed the extra space on the 14' table, and if we move (slight possibility) I figured a 12' table would fit in more homes.

But another reason I'm downsizing the table is I felt that the longer table was harder to keep level and easier to get torqued. I'm looking forward to the extra room I'll have with my new setup.

Well I wish that I had texted the landlord about the size of the master bedroom before I asked. (We're visiting family in CA otherwise I'd measure it myself.) It sounds like I'll just be able to get a 12' table in the room with a wee bit of space for me to squeeze around it. This is for the rental house in Cheyenne. If we were moving back to CA then our family room has more than enough space for a 14' table. So it looks like a 12' table it'll have to be. Thanks everyone for all the advice!

Tami:  I have a 12' table for my Ult2, and a 14' table for my Gammill Classic.  I can probably get by quilting anything on my Ult2 that I can on the Gammill, but the Gammill gives me more options for loading the quilt.  I like to load the backs for the quilting I do, with the backing seams parallel to the rollers.  It gives me a more uniform tension than if I load with the seams perpendicular to the the rollers.  Occassionally I will have a quilt back that is too wide to load it that way on my Ult2.  They go on Gammill.  I also use my Quiltazoid on Zelda my Ult2, and the offset the Quiltazoid requires, occassionally forces me to load the quilt offset to the right rather than centered on the leaders.  If Zelda's table was 14' (I couldn't fit it in the space she has anyway), I wouldn't have that problem.

If you have the room, go with the 14' table.  You can always "not use the space", but can never use space you don't have.  Regards.  Jim

Archived