Funky, Fabulous Dresden Plate Quilt- Done!

I have a customer who is a wonderful free spirt. She loves colors and isn't afraid of bold prints. I always enjoy doing her quilts. This time it was a Dresden Plate that would be at home with Alice in Wonderland. 

kathfeature.jpg

I've been super inspired lately to play with more rulers and battings. I did a double batt of Hobbs 80/20 for this quilt and I don't think I'll do that again. It was just so incredibly heavy when I was done. Plus, I needed to raise my hopping foot to compensate for all that batting under the foot. So far my favorite double batt combo is wool on top with either cotton or 80/20 under that. I've been tempted to play with poly on top instead of wool because wool is just so incredibly pricey! I used Omni thread. 

kathmiddle1.jpg

The center plate in the quilt had solid purple setting blocks around it. I decided to explode the quilt from the center out with angular lines shooting out North, South, East, West. Between the lines was some pebbles to keep it from getting to angular. I like how it created a center medallion to the quilt with the ruler work. 

I used a spinning curl in the actual plates using my IQ. 

kathplate1.jpg

In the kite shaped setting blocks I treated the full polka dot ones with a scimitar feather. At least, that's what I call it. It reminds me of the swords the soldiers in the Aladdin movie run around with. I think it is my favorite feather. 

kathms3.jpg

In the combo purple and polka dot kite blocks I did some curved ruler work. 

kathms.jpg

More photos are over on my blog

The pattern is called "Periwinkle" if you watch Missouri Star Quilts video on it.  It's also called the "Arkansas Star" I've made one already and it looks so different from this one.  I love the colors and the movement here and the quilting makes it wonderful. 

Oma & Linda, 

Thanks for the correction on the name. I've never heard of the "Arkansas Star" block. I was almost thinking this was broken dishes but finally I thought it fell into the Dresden plate variation column. I'm off to do a Google search. :) 

Thanks for all the kind comments!

Angela, do a google search for "Periwinkle Quilt" then click on images.  It looks so different with each fabric choice and placement.  Very easy quilt and looks so grand when finished.  I've started a "mini" block.  In my pic the block hasn't been trimmed yet, but it will be trimmed to 5½" then will be a 5" finished block.  It will look so cool when finished.

post-4696-0-71580400-1392824355_thumb.jpg

Archived