I call this "Randomness"

Oma

My grandson asked me last month to make a quilt for his girlfriend. My response should have been "no", especially since I had less than a month to do it and I've had such health issues lately. Ordinarily it would have been a breeze because he chose a very easy and quick pattern. Well, actually, there wasn't a pattern. He wanted triangles, modern and random.  He was very emphatic about the colors though...had to be shades of gray and one "Periwinkle blue". The blue was very precise. Do you know how many colors of Periwinkle blue there is? I played it safe and bought all Kona solids and the name of this blue is "Periwinkle". I should be ok.

The hardest part was not to "arrange" it in some orderly fashion. They wanted the "randomness" of it. I finally took it off the design board...stacked all the HST in a pile and started sewing them together as they came off the stack. It drove me crazy. He has seen a pic of it and loves it and swears she will too. Well then, mission accomplished.

I used Michael's Circle Lord board "Square Dance". I call it "Wonky Squares" so it sort of fits. I love his boards. I wouldn't have gotten this finished as quickly and nicely if it wasn't for the boards. I realized last night this is the first quilt I've quilted in almost two years. It's hard to believe. Maybe this will be a catalyst to get me working on some more.

I have to get it in the mail today because her birthday is Sunday.  How's that for cutting it close...lol.

post-4696-0-25594100-1392828663_thumb.jpg

Now this is my kind of quilt! Simple, fast, random and not too many different fabrics! I think it's beautiful and I'm sure it will be loved. Maybe this is just the little nudge you needed to get you inspired again. I know the health problems get in the way of our creativity, so I'm praying yours stay at bay so you can get back to this wonderful thing we call Quilting!

Brenni, I used Sew Fine #403 Putty.  It seemed to blend in the best and I use it most of the time.  It's a great "go to" color.  I had problems this time with it shredding at the needle.  I've NEVER had problems before.  I changed the needle.  I rethreaded the machine.  I loosened my tension.  I even put a little thread oil on a piece of batting and let the thread run over it.  It all helped a little.  I didn't have problems when my SIL quilted with it last week.  I came to the conclusion that it was the Kona fabric on front and back.  It must have just been hard on the thread.  It all ended up looking good so I'm happy.

Thanks everyone else for the compliments and encouragement.  I agree this type of quilt seems to be what the younger ones want.  This one was commissioned by a 19 year old for a 23 year old.  I think from now on when I make a quilt for a younger person I will really talk to them about what they like and want.  This is not one I would have chosen to do and yet he loves it.  Originally I told my grandson I would piece the top if he came down and spent the weekend and quilted it.  He agreed, but I felt bad for him because he is a full time college student in Eugene, OR and on the honor roll (translation...lots of studying) and he just started a new job.  He was beginning to stress on getting the plane tickets and rearranging things so I laughed and told him I would quilt it.  I just wanted to see how determined he was.  He offered to pay for all of the supplies, but how could I let him do that.  I appreciated that he knew it took time and money.  He made a rag quilt when he was 15 years old while visiting one summer and did a great job on it.  His girlfriend will be happy because she will love her quilt.  He will be happy because he gave her something really special and it made her happy.  And I will be happy because another young person has a quilt, and happy because my grandson thinks his "Grammy" rocks and happy that I will get busy with other quilt tops now. A total win-win situation. 

My health issues are getting better.  I'm still waiting on results regarding the bone scan.  I think it's going to be ok.  My back is better most of the time.  It's very slow going.  My biggest hurdle right now is getting my diabetes under control.  All of the other problems seem to have made it worse.  I always controlled it with diet.  Over the past three months I've been on three different diabetes medicines and during that time we have increased the amount I was taking and added and subtracted pills all while dealing with side effects.  Then I went on new injectable med that didn't change the numbers any, but made me so nauseous every day, all day long and gave me (whispering) diarrhea.  Wore me completely out.  Last week I started a new insulin.  So far the numbers are still up, but there doesn't seem to be any side effects.  Yay!  I may be getting better.  No...I AM getting better because I just made a quilt and finished it.  Yay!  As Charlie Sheen would say..."WINNING!"  LOL.

I'm not a young something, I'm an old something and I LOVE LOVE the quilt.  Grandchildren are so special and like you I would do anything for mine.  No truer words were spoken than what you said about your grandson.

I do want to ask did you use 3 different grays?  The blue certainly hit the spot.

Oh and the random triangle look is very very popular on many blogs. You hit the nail on the head.   thanks for sharing.

How pretty!  I like what I call "formal" placement of blocks and fabrics.. a definate pattern.  Don't

think I could have pieced this as you so wonderfully did.  

I'm so glad you  are managing to pull out of the ailment list, be it a tiny bit at a time.  At least a

tiny bit is a small shuffle forward.  As you do things, it lowers the stress and that helps the diabetes.

I'm falling apart, bit by bit.. so can sympathize with you..   Keep up the step, one at a time!

Prayers, of course..

Rita 

Archived