Customer incentives

I was going over my invoices from 2013 last night and started thinking about how valuable my regular customers are to me. I don't have a system in place to reward them for their loyalty, but feel that is something I definitely should be doing for 2014.   Will you share  your favorite ideas for showing your appreciation for (and keeping) your customers?  I have seen ideas mentioned before - but would love to hear them again!

Thanks!

Carol

It's always advisable that rewarding your customers should be with aim of increasing your business. While it's nice to give something back, most customers don't have an expectation of a "gift" if they are regulars and already in love with your work. If you want to reward certain ones ( your best and most prolific customers) send them a thank-you note with a freebie. Either free thread, a percentage off their next quilt, or a half-a-cent  jump in quilting costs--like a 2 1/2 cent job for 2 cents an inch. Make the note personal, maybe commenting on their strong points like perfect piecing or great choices of color. They'll be surprised and grateful. 

With a thought of expanding your customer base (if you want to) include a business card with your invoice, with instructions that the redeeming of the card by a new customer will get your old customer a percentage off a future quilt. I did this with success when I started out. Make sure the customer knows that the percentages off don't accumulate to be used on one quilt. Only one business referral per card and one percentage off per quilt.

Now, I'll be a wet blanket and share how big companies think. I work for a grocery chain and when we offer great rewards for new customers, my regulars ask why they don't get to take advantage of some thank-you offer. It's because those regulars are already spending their money at the store. The company is all about enticing new customer--because the old ones are already hooked. The corporate expectation is that great customer service and all the good things available to the regulars is enough and no extra efforts are needed. That said, it all changes when our customer base may start to shrink because of new competition. Then the company will offer incentives to lure the regulars back. It's a shame.

My customer incentive is to give a coupon card to my regular and most prolific customers.  This card states a 'free' quilting (E2E of my choice) of a lap size (size is stated on card) or smaller quilt, to be used within 6 months and is not transferable.  This has been a big hit with my ladies.  Some get a coupon card twice a year while others get one maybe once every 1 1/2 years, just depending on how many quilts I have done for each person.  

Archived