Happy Friday - finally get to quilt and I'm having trouble with the back.

This is a large quilt, 108 x 120 on 12' millie.  Back is a wide back, with "leaders" sewn to the edge so I can quilt right up to the edge of the 108" wide back.  I'll have to trim it down after it is all done, but that's ok because the final border on the top is 8" wide.  The fabric was torn at the quilt store; I pinned it to zippers and put it on and could tell it wasn't going to be flat.  Took it off and very carefully (with help) smoothed and squared up both ends.  Pinned it back to the zippers and zipped it onto the machine.  Looked nice and flat.  Added batting (Q Dream poly/cotton) and the top, and basted it on all 4 sides.  Now as I check  underneath there is all kinds of fullness in the back and looseness in the batting (I can see folds on the bottom feeder roller).  First of all I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, and secondly, how do I fix it?  I've already quilted one sashing line across most of the width of the quilt, after the first border.  Should I roll it back and forth a few times?  I'm wondering if I stretched the top too tight trying to keep it straight (I baste with the channel locks on)?  It just seems like I can't get the backs taut enough.  I know it shouldn't be like a banjo, but it really droops.  I'm just about to get my upgraded millie with bliss and glide - and my machine/table is 5 years old in a dry climate.  No matter what I do to the hand brake, the sandwich "relaxes" and I have to continuously tighten it up. One other thing that I wonder - I sewed those leaders to the selvedges and didn't trim them after.  Could that have something to do with it?  I tried not to stretch the leaders. There, that's all the info I have.  Any body with ideas?  Thanks in advance - 

Bobbie

I think I would remove the basting on the sides and bottom. Most likely, it is causing your problem. If you must prebaste, start at the top, go across the quilt in rows every 10 inches and work down the area you will be quilting.  Then baste the sides but only as far as the front roller. Quilt the basted area, and roll, baste rows every 10 inches across again, down the sides and quilt. Continue doing this process to the bottom of the quilt. Since I am not standing there with you to actually see what you are seeing, this is just a suggestion of what I would do to tame the backing.

Debbie

Thank you, Micajah - I think you are right.  I went back and puzzled over it with my associate (quilting daughter who lives at home) and we remembered two things.  I always float my tops, and on big quilts like this it gives me fits every time.  Secondly, the top design has rows every l0" with tiny (l") sashing.  I'm going to do my sashing quilting, across the rows, from the top to the bottom of the quilt.  We undid the basting and pinned the top to the top roller.  Then, after doing all the sideways rows, perhaps I should do the up and down ones?  And then do my quilting in the squares?  I have a way to travel, so I won't have to stop and start.  I've had my machine 5 years, but my quilting is often in spurts, and I have relearn all my tricks over and over.  I appreciate your help.  I thought basting was the way to go since I like floating the tops.

Archived