Velco coming off my break....

Hello friends, long time no see. Hope you are all well and stitching happily along.

I have a problem in that the velcro on my break keeps coming off. I attach it again, clean all the clue from the roller, but to no avail. I had the same problem with my previous frame. I know i am not unique to this and wonder what others have done to solve this problem. I am actually thinking of glueing the velcro right to the roller....when i can find some that width.

Thanks and happy Saturday.

Hi,

I have the same problem....I called APQS.  The suggestion was to clean the glue off with WD40....and then to clean again with rubbing alcohol to remove the WD40 residue....I think I used GooGone to clean and rubbing alcohol after...it stuck better...but still does loosen up especially with humidity changes (I think).  I also make sure that I make no attempt to roll the quilt at all without loosening up the brake...yep...it is a bit of a pain when you just want to snug it up a  bit....but loosen the brake all the way helps keep the Velcro on.  APQS said this has been more of problem with fabric advance....but I don't have fabric advance.....I have been trying to brain storm an idea to help it stay put also....umm...maybe one of those little anti skid mats they use under rugs instead of the velcro?...just stitch in place?  I dunno...haven't tried that one yet...just popped into my head...let me know if you find something that works or if the rubbing alcohol helps it adhere better...I just am looking for a source for extra glue on velcro as this just may be one of those replacement chores to do periodically.  I did recently have a problem with the brake not holding when I was doing a king sized flannel quilt when I had most of it rolled unto the take-up roller...it just seemed it was too heavy for the brake to hold it........ Lin

I have the same problem with one of my brakes. The first thing I noticed was when I loosed the brake but could not turn the roller. Realised that the Velcro had bunched up inside the brake. I managed to straighten it out, but do need to replace the Velcro and clean my roller. I had thought of trying that rubberized shelf liner as that worked to help stop my QZ moving.

I have a metal brake...so cannot staple velcro to brake...i don't roll without releasing brake, but do like a tight sandwich.....i might give the shelf liner a go. I seem to spend too much time cleaning roller with goo gone and repositioning velcro only to do it again soon after.

Thanks for your input.

I have one inch wide, white velcro if someone would like to buy..  will have to check on price paid before I can answer any questions. 

It is NOT the self glued tape.. has to be sewn or a glue used to fasten it in place.

Rita

Mine did the same thing after years of use. I removed it and the sticky glue, and cleaned with alcohol. I replaced it with the same heavy duty industrial Velcro with the adhesive on the back. Found it in WalMart with the regular Velcro in the sewing and crafting area. I'm sure Home Depot would also have it. It's been fine ever since. Did the same with my new Millie. It helps so the brake is tight and doesn't slip.

Archived