Recommended Posts

Hello friends, long time no see. Hope you are all well and stitching happily along.

I have a problem in that the velcro on my break keeps coming off. I attach it again, clean all the clue from the roller, but to no avail. I had the same problem with my previous frame. I know i am not unique to this and wonder what others have done to solve this problem. I am actually thinking of glueing the velcro right to the roller....when i can find some that width.

Thanks and happy Saturday.


E02CEAF0D0F32E39FB0DAC48EEAEDBE8.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

I have the same problem....I called APQS.  The suggestion was to clean the glue off with WD40....and then to clean again with rubbing alcohol to remove the WD40 residue....I think I used GooGone to clean and rubbing alcohol after...it stuck better...but still does loosen up especially with humidity changes (I think).  I also make sure that I make no attempt to roll the quilt at all without loosening up the brake...yep...it is a bit of a pain when you just want to snug it up a  bit....but loosen the brake all the way helps keep the Velcro on.  APQS said this has been more of problem with fabric advance....but I don't have fabric advance.....I have been trying to brain storm an idea to help it stay put also....umm...maybe one of those little anti skid mats they use under rugs instead of the velcro?...just stitch in place?  I dunno...haven't tried that one yet...just popped into my head...let me know if you find something that works or if the rubbing alcohol helps it adhere better...I just am looking for a source for extra glue on velcro as this just may be one of those replacement chores to do periodically.  I did recently have a problem with the brake not holding when I was doing a king sized flannel quilt when I had most of it rolled unto the take-up roller...it just seemed it was too heavy for the brake to hold it........ Lin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the same problem with one of my brakes. The first thing I noticed was when I loosed the brake but could not turn the roller. Realised that the Velcro had bunched up inside the brake. I managed to straighten it out, but do need to replace the Velcro and clean my roller. I had thought of trying that rubberized shelf liner as that worked to help stop my QZ moving.


Happy owner of my newly Blissed 09 Lenni, with new friend Intelliquilter ClasiQ

FCF5C84CD6D4F7A87DB5FBE50FDA5592.png

http://kathsquiltingdiary.blogspot.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a metal brake...so cannot staple velcro to brake...i don't roll without releasing brake, but do like a tight sandwich.....i might give the shelf liner a go. I seem to spend too much time cleaning roller with goo gone and repositioning velcro only to do it again soon after.

Thanks for your input.


E02CEAF0D0F32E39FB0DAC48EEAEDBE8.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since my velcro will not stick to the brake, with your suggestions I am going to try wrapping the roller instead with shelf liner, and take off the Velcro all together.


Lyn Crump   Hand Guided 2013 Millenium Blissed and Gliding    APQS Sales Rep SE Qld Australia   www.busyquilting.com.au   On Facebook and Instagram as BusyQuilting


Attitude is everything - So pick a good one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a bottle of contact cement with a brush inside from Walmart. I took off the old Velcro and coated both sides.of the brake, with the cement , let it get tacky them put the old Velcro back and have never had it come loose again. Carol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one inch wide, white velcro if someone would like to buy..  will have to check on price paid before I can answer any questions. 

It is NOT the self glued tape.. has to be sewn or a glue used to fasten it in place.

 

Rita

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same problem in December,

I cleaned the metal roller with a metal cleaner spray, took the velcro off and my husband gave me a two component glue

which holds the velcro fine since than.

 

good luck !

Lisa


Lisa 

*~*~* 2012 APQS Lucey + 2014 QuiltPath  *~*~*   www.lisaskreativseite.blogspot.com  *~*~*    www.quilt.werdel.de

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put some anti skid fabric on clean rollers and tie strapped that. Cleaned the brake of all clue residue and i am very happy with the results. Should it become necessary to replace it, no big deal, have lots of tie straps and shelf liner, and it looks nice and clean.


E02CEAF0D0F32E39FB0DAC48EEAEDBE8.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine did the same thing after years of use. I removed it and the sticky glue, and cleaned with alcohol. I replaced it with the same heavy duty industrial Velcro with the adhesive on the back. Found it in WalMart with the regular Velcro in the sewing and crafting area. I'm sure Home Depot would also have it. It's been fine ever since. Did the same with my new Millie. It helps so the brake is tight and doesn't slip.


Merry Jo

Merry Jo Rembold, Julian, CA

APQS Sales Representative

Millie & Quilt Path

Facebook: Creative Quilting by Merry Jo

Merryjorembold.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...