Unlike some of the other social medias, I love our beloved APQS forum. When we talk about humming along and on a roll with our quilting projects and such, everyone here seems to know just what you're talking about. Today, I anxiously started an intense applique job... after cutting pieces and having a "plan of action" I read back over the authors instructions again, knowing that they were confusing the first time and therefor I sort of dreaded the whole task at hand. Well, like recipes, I usually find a way to alter things to work for me and by mid-day it was all going so well. Then it happened (two blocks to go)... I ironed the double-sided fusible web to my iron... aarrgghh. Sticky, gooy, yuck. Of course the steel wool is no where to be found!

What sorts of things threw your production to an immediate halt?

The very first quilt I made was from a book of quilts made with fat quarters.  I thought that I was carefully following directions but then found I had erred.  Ripped and tried again.  Alas, still did not have it right.  Decided I did not care, completed the quilt and named it 'Granny's Folly.'

Regarding the fusible on the iron, I have also done that.  Use a dryer sheet to rub it off.

Oh, this is a fun topic! 

I was one block short when finishing a quilt.  Couldn't find that block anywhere but knew I had made it.  Finally gave up looking and re-cut and pieced another one.  No sooner did I get that new block done when I realized I was sitting on the one I couldn't find.  It blended in perfectly with my chair pad!  Felt more like I was one brick short more than one block short. :D

Dear Quilters,

I have used table salt in the past to remove appliqué glue from the bottom of the iron and the iron sole. Sprinke a generous amount of salt over the glue on the ironing board and run your iron  back and forth over the salt. Use cotton setting on your iron. May have to repeat a few times   but works well. Good Luck,

Heather 

I've had to rip a fair bit of quilting, and the act of picking out those stupid little loops drives me nuts so I still have one of my first projects still pinned on the zipper leaders I zipped off in despair.  Fast forward to two years later, and I just figured out how to get those loops out without becoming enraged: machingers!  just rub those rubbery fingers all over and they come right out.

I have found that a Magic Eraser, any brand, works wonders when cleaning off the iron plate.  Just wet it and wring out and scrub.  I do it every so often just to keep things clean. 

As a newbie, pretty much everything I have done so far has been a big boo boo.  lol    I just finished a disappearing 9 patch, for me, and I tried to stitch in every ditch, before quilting.  I also put rick rack in with the binding.  It looks cute, but my binding was not wide enough to handle it, so my corners are not mitered well.  My piecing does not match up!  Too hard for a beginner.  But the fabric is so pretty, so who cares?  It is still bright and fun and warm.

On my last quilt, I did not do the applique correctly; oh well, I am still proud of it, and that I finished it.  Live and learn!

There is a group of us each making a Farmer's Wife.  We meet once a month.  It's a lesson in paper piecing for most of us.  Anyway, Someone called me from across the room to ask a question, so I got up from my machine, walked over there, answered the question and went back to my machine.  I couldn't find the piece I was working on.  Where could it have gone???  I walked back across the room, looked on the floor, the ironing surface - it was no where.  Oh wait, the white paper is up and it's under my needle with half the seam sewed.  Not really a goof, but I sure did feel silly.  Everyone got a good laugh.

Archived