A Nasty Blizzard in Iowa

Boy, I haven't heard the wind this bad in a long time...

I know that Carroll, Iowa has about 12 inches of snow.. Des Moines was closer to 4 inches of snow.

It is suppose to stop blowing at around 6:00 P.m.Tonight...

APQS is closed today also...

It is great to be Retired!! Barb

Yep, that is alot of snow. I just got off the phone with my friend who live in a NW suburb of MN...she says they have 18 inches on the ground with 1 to 2 more expected.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Basking in a sunny and windy 62 degrees....

Hey, I never did hear what the Groundhog did. So did he think it was spring already? He was dead wrong if so, at least here in Oregon. You must be getting that wind we had a few days back, all that whistling through my screens, and HUGE between the houses here (5 ft set-backs, so about 10 feet between). Stay safe and warm in your cozy house with your LA!

My niece had a tornado yesterday in Columbus, GA. Scared the living daylights out of her it did. She was driving their new mattress home, so couldn't see behind her. When she got home her FIL told her there was a tornado touched down in an intersection, which she said was RIGHT behind her driving home. Poor thing, she's a So. Cal. gal. I know how scared they can get with any weather, cuz I'm one too. We just don't do weather in So. Cal. Nope. Weather's for other folks that are hardy, like Aunt Ella says in Oklahoma. Yup. Californians are only hardy in deserts. That's what we're trained up to stand, and only that. Yup.

Well, gotta go. Got a phone call to make to a Texan. Hope the tornadoes missed them! Be safe, all!

Here in Minnesota it's still snowing...looks like Minnesnowta! Very pretty. It finally looks like a winter wonderland...we saw a lot of grass through last week.

Great day to turn on a bunch of lighting, grab a hot beverage, and sew (or at least think about a project).

:)

I am in NW Iowa and we have about 13 inches of snow but drifts as high as the garage!! Nothing is moving and even our post office has been closed for the past two days! I am so happy we have not lost power and I can still quilt! I sure hope people heed the warnings and stay off the roads...all interstates and many highways in our area are now closed.

Janette

I've been worried about you all in Minnesota and Iowa! Hope all is well with you.

My husband was in Oklahoma City this past week going to FAA school and he was flying home on Thursday (yesterday) -- got up at 4:00 AM OKC time and discovered his flight through Minneapolis was canceled due to weather, so had to fly the round robin route back home to Alaska -- he missed his connection in Seattle. 24 hours later, he finally made it home at 2:00 AM last night (which is 5:00 AM OKC time) and was one tired puppy!

All of you in the midwest and plains states, take care and stay home and be safe. No need to get out on the roads in nasty weather.

Shanna-

How is the weather up in Alaska? I've been dreaming about vacationing to your state for many years...my husband thinks that your weather is worse than ours here in Mn, so he won't go!

I personally can't remember the story in any movie that was filmed in Alaska...but I can tell you all about the incredibly awsome scenery!

I really want to see your beautiful state, see whales, and ride the narrow rail train.:D

Janette.. Where is NW Iowa are you... I worked for UPS for 32 years, and covered Denison, Guthrie Center, and Fort Dodge... We have UPS Centers in Sioux City and Spencer, Iowa.. I 've been there a few times.

Yes You poor things.. I know you had a lot of snow... we had mostly winds. It is still really windy.. I live in Altoona, out on an Acre and open areas, It is really drifting out here...

Take care.. I hope things melt soon.. Barb

Hi Everyone,

Here in the middle of Wisconsin we receive and couple of feet of snow and major winds, the dogs didn't even want to go outside. I haven't left the house since wednesday night when everything started. The kids have had school canceled thursday and friday, so with the foster kids home I can't work on anything because they have to be watched every minute (foster kids are in their teens), it did give me a chance to catch up on my quilt magazines. Thank goodness it was nice out yesterday, still snowed a few more inches but no wind and the temp was 41, took the kids and dogs outside to run off all their energy.

Everyone keep warm and drive safe!

Char

March comes in like a lion, will go out like a lamb....I have at least a six foot drift in the driveway...dont think I will be scooping that one! Hubby works for the county as a snowplow driver, so that leaves it up to me to be the snow scooper... Weird thing, when it snows like this, I dont feel like quilting..I think we had 14 inches....and it is still blowing it around.

Yipee!

In north Iowa today the sun is out and the winds have died down and although the snow is deep it looks beautiful (now that storms are gone). When we have a blizzard, we have at least half a days warning (usually more than a day). Not like the tornadoes that hit the south. Am sure praying for all of those folks.

Later, Sue

Barb....I am in a small town called Cleghorn...about 50 miles NE of Sioux City......today the sun is shining brightly but it is bitter cold with the wind blowing! We have had no mail for three days and I am waiting on some thread to quilt my Maple Leaf quilt!I guess I'll just have to start someting else today.........:D

We must be a little ahead on a few things around here. I went to the ranch yesterday morning, it's about 2 1/2 hours north of where I live and is part of the most beautiful stretch of bluebonnet scenery every year. The red bud trees are blooming, all red and white. There are the purple roadside wild flowers already starting. I saw a few Indian Paintbrush. All we need is a little rain and it's going to be breathtaking! I just love spring in Texas! We might have another cold spell but it looks like Spring is here!

I'm so happy! I need to break out the hummingbird feeders! I'll get pictures to post when it really gets going, maybe everyone will a little boost knowing it won't be much longer.

We visited Springfield, Missouri over the weekend, where my parents live. They were without power, as you all know for 9 days. It was the first time we had been down since the ice storm that knocked them out for a while. OMG I could not believe it. The worst ice storm in 80 years. Every tree in from about 40 miles north of Springfield is snapped off at the top. Huge oak trees, some uprooted. I have seen tornado damage and it usually is a path of destruction, but this was so different. Yards are just piled high with trees and limbs. Some house still have trees laying across them. It is just terrible. When you think of an ice storm and power going out you sure don't think it looks like that. It will take years for thier trees to recover.

My DH's family all live in Iowa and now they are going through it. I feel for everyone - it is a mess.

Archived