Help Needle up/down not working.

rdp

My Millie has been sitting idle for several months.  When I turned it on today, the needle up/down would only hum but not move. In addition, if I moved it manually, it is not picking up the bobbin thread. Any and all suggestions welcome.

I guess make sure the machine is fully warmed up after a nice generous oiling. This assumes that you are able to get the machine to run OK using your command buttons.

If the up/down seems like it's straining, take off the side cover and investigate for thread wrapped around the flywheel. If that's not the culprit, adjust the #8 screw following the manual instruction to see if you can get it to cooperate.

When the needle positioner works you can work on the thread pick-up problem. That involves timing.

The mother ship is just a phone call away, but of course it's Friday! Hoping you get things squared away soon.

I had a similar problem with my Mille after she had sat for a long time.  After taking off the side cover I followed the directions in my APQS Maintenance Manual:

Grasp the rockery assembly with your thumb and forefinger and twist it counterclockwise (left).  The small coil spring should compress and an air gap should open up between the rubber grommet and the sliding sleeve on the rocker assembly.  This sleeve should slide up and down smoothly on the vertical shaft when the rocker assembly is twisted.  The spot should be oiled occasionally especially in a damp environment.  If this spot becomes rusted, the hopping foot mechanism will not operate correctly resulting in poor stitch quality and broken needles.  If this movement is stiff or stickily, spray with WD40 first before applying oil.  

I'm not exactly sure why this fixed my issue but after doing this and warming Millie up with the command buttons, she did the up and down without any issues.  There are pictures in the manual of how to do this.  I did not have to adjust the needle up/down after doing this.

Archived