NQR - Chickenpox

My 13-month-old grandson received the first chickenpox vaccine and came down with the chickenpox right afterwards. It has been over two weeks since the first outbreak and he's still getting them here and there. Is this odd or normal? I picked him up yesterday for his overnighter with grandma and he a bump on his hand and now it is a blister. We have been going through this for over two weeks and I would have thought he wouldn't be getting any more spots by now. Just wondering what your experiences are. 

0310141959b.jpg

My Youngest had this happen too.  After a few weeks, she was all better.   I had them terribly as a child, and I'm just glad she only had the occasional one.   The hardest part was that her father has never had the chicken pox, and still hasn't to this day.   Hope he's at least feeling okay.  

Was the doctor informed of the reaction to the vaccine? It's not uncommon but the doc should know about it if only to reassure the family that all's well. 

Adults can still be vaccinated for chicken pox.

Den and I got the shingles vaccine recently, which is a good idea. Shingles is a crappy, painful, and sometimes recurring condition. Those of us "of an age" can get some protection from the condition.

Amen! As a child a I had the worst case of chicken pox!  A couple of years ago I also got the shingles vaccine. Wouldn't you know along came the shingles that year and I had them for only about 3 weeks!  Only blisters and burning. NO REAL pain. My aunt had shingles that lasted for 6 months!  Get the vaccine and call the doctor about the child's reaction!!!!~~~~

Someone else mentioned that I could get shingles from my grand baby getting chickenpox. I know that shingles is related to the virus of chickenpox/herpes and if I've had that I could get chickenpox, but I don't know that I can get shingles in this case? I'm only 48 and can't get the vaccine yet … I checked when my grand baby was born and then told me at 50, so I have to wait!

Sylvia, your poor daughter! How awful. That they don't vaccinate until 50 I don't know why?

I'm thinking this little pustule looks like chickenpox but this little baby has bug bites all over too from his other grandmother's house. It is hard convincing the father (who is protective of his mother) to get his mother to get her house cleaned out of fleas!!

Linda, they didn't take him to the doctor but the doctor diagnosed it over the phone a few days after the vaccination. I told my daughter today if he gets any more of the little bumps that turn to pustules, to get him in.

Dell, you poor thing! Isn't that so strange that you got shingles after getting vaccinated?!? It's hard to know if one should get vaccinated to things, but I think I will do the shingles vaccination as soon as I am "of age." So sorry you got it. I hear it is really painful. 

To me, this looks like another new chickenpox but I just don't know how the vaccination version of chickenpox acts. I hope they take him in but he is not grouchy or feeling poorly any more so I don't know if they will.  :(  It's hard to be a grandma sometimes!!!

I really try to stay away from this sort of topic...but some information may be helpful...

Chickenpox is actually not Herpes though it is one of the 25 or so herpetic viruses...it is from the Varicella Zoster Virus (Zoster is what causes Shingles too). Herpes (cold sores and the other kind) is caused by Herpes Simplex 1 and Herpes Simplex 2 viruses. So actually a different virus, but the same class...I don't want to get too technical.

I don't know that getting Chickenpox right after the vaccine is representative of a reaction unless it was a live attenuated virus and Bonnie's grandson has an impaired immune system (possibly not diagnosed), but rather more likely representative of that age old medical disease Luckus baddis   ;) , or in Lay terms, pure bad luck! Possibly exposed just in time to develop the disease right around the time off the vaccine. Certainly the little guys Pediatrician should be notified if that has not happened already. Usually the course of the disease is 5-10 days...so 14 days is getting to the outside of what would be usual, so asking the Pediatrician couldn't hurt at this point...

Good information Dave  :)

You can go online and Google information about Chickenpox and shingles.  I have had shingles and I also had chickenpox when I was a child.  

The information I got when I was down with Shingles is this...  with a rash that is blistered or fluid filled, you are contagious to anyone that has never had Chickenpox and can give Chickenpox to them.  If you have the rash without blisters, you are mildly infectious, in any case it is best to not be around people until the rash is under control...which can be several days if not weeks.

If you have had Chickenpox, the virus can and does lay dormant in your nerve cells until something awakens it....such as long illness, heavy stress, cancer, immune problems.  Not all that get Shingles are older, however it is more common in the elderly.  There are reports of children getting Shingles.  Once you have Shingles, you can get it again...it does effect each person a little different.  Shingles can cause nerve damage where the rash has been, such in my case.  My skin does not have sensitivity where the rash was.  

You can get the Shingles vaccine (very expensive and most insurances do not cover this), but it is not full proof in preventing you from getting Shingles, although it will lesson the severity and length of this illness.

You can not get Shingles if you have never had Chickenpox, BUT you can get Chickenpox from Shingles.

I hope this has answered some of your questions.

I do recommend taking the little fella to the doctor as Chickenpox can cause secondary problems.  Since he is still getting blisters, he is contagious.  Any fluid from the blisters can get into the air, clothing, hands, floor, ... and can be transferred to others.  Chickenpox is a serious illness for the elderly, teenagers, and young adults.  You do not have to have alot of blisters to be seriously ill or have secondary complications from Chickenpox.  This is one of the reasons why most schools require the Chickenpox vaccine prior to going to school.

Something not mentioned so far is to not risk infecting a pregnant woman.  Very important. 

It is as Dave said as far as not being "herpes", but one of the Herpes virus'.  If you have never had chicken pox and you come into contact with a person infected with chicken pox you can catch chicken pox.  If you have already had chicken pox and you come into contact with a person infected with chicken pox then you can get shingles.  If you are broke out with shingles and you come into contact with a person who has never had chicken pox then they can get chicken pox.  I have never heard of a person catching shingles from a person having shingles, but that's just saying I've never heard of it..  I've cared for many patients with shingles and we never worried about that.  I can tell you that I have seen shingles on the forehead (most painful because it also comes with severe headaches) and on the torso (also very painful).  It has always been on one side or the other.  I've never seen it all the way around a person's head or torso.  I don't recall ever seeing a child with shingles either.   

There is lots of information on the web regarding this topic.  Be informed. 

Bonnie, that blister looks like a chicken pox. "This disease is easily the most contagious as soon as the 1st symptoms of a fever and aches occur. This is much sooner then your actual rash and bumps break out. In just days or sometimes weeks, a rash and blisters will quickly occur. The chicken pox contagious period is highest two days before the rash breaks out. As soon as the rash happens, you slowly become much less contagious to others. However, will still be recommended to avoid people as there is still to be able to pass it on.

It usually takes about 10-21 days for all the blisters to scab over and heal. When all the the blisters and scabs are completely gone, the chicken pox contagious period is finished and you are back to normal health.

So overall, the chicken pox contagious period lasts from 2-3 week on average, and much longer in situations where there may be a complication."

I can tell you that when my three children were young (4 months, 5 years and 7 years old) when they contracted chicken pox.  One right after the other in two week increments.  Yup...6 straight weeks of chicken pox and I had just started a new job and the day care and school wouldn't allow the kids to attend (understandably).  The dr. said the youngest one was so young and protected by my immunities that he probably wouldn't get them or have such a light case we wouldn't notice.  Nope...he was covered from head to toe.  They were in his ears and his nose...everywhere.  So many of them.  Thank God he was so young.  My job held my position for me and all worked out ok, but what an ordeal for a young mother. 

Dave, Laura, Oma, so much good information I didn't know. Thank you for taking the time to share!!!

Oma, I didn't realize that chickenpox could still be out-breaking in little pox for so long. We have been keeping the little guy away from everyone but those we knew have had chickenpox, but didn't know until the other day that one could get shingles if you've had the pox already, and I wasn't sure I believed it. Thanks for confirming with your years of nursing experience. And goodness, I can't imagine going through a bad case of chickenpox with three children. Roran's wasn't so bad as in his body wasn't encompassed in a rash, but there were a few days that I think he wrote the definition of cranky.

Laura, I didn't think about fluid being on clothes and such. Oh no! I have a gal that I quilt for and she has been undergoing chemo for a very long time. She called me the other day and wanted to bring me a quilt. I'm so glad I brought this topic up as I think I should wait a few weeks before taking in her quilt.

Great info all.  I'm at the age that I need to get the shingles vacine.  I had chickenpox twice (yes, both confirmed).  Can you have shingles without anything showing on the skin?  Just wondering,  I have a itching, burning on top of my thigh, I think it's sore from me rubbing it (or bumping into my desk constantly).  I can't see any rash or visible reason for it? 

I have read that there is a natural product you can take to keep shingles from reoccurring once you have had it.  I think it was lysine, but not sure.  Of course, Dave may have an opinion on this!  lol   It would not hurt to research this a bit.  If I can find it I will post it here, and everyone can try at their own choice and risk!

Here's my weird chicken pox story.

My youngest was 2 years old when he got it.

They had just come out with the vaccine, but I passed on it.

(If it wasn't required for school, I always passed)

Poor Jimmy had a pretty bad case, lasted 3 weeks, very hi fever, but finally recovered.

He never saw his Dr, but I did speak to him on the phone a few times.

I loved that pediatrician, he was so laid back.

About 4 weeks after he was fully recovered, he got them, AGAIN.

A full blown case.

Of course, we were in Jamaica vacationing.

I felt so bad for him.

He was covered again and it was so hot he was miserable.

The couple we were traveling with were Dr/nurse combo.

Thankfully, they kept an eye on him so I wasn't terribly nervous.

Dave (the Dr friend) also diagnosed it as Luckis Baddis.

Poor little guy!

I remember when all five of my brothers and sisters came down with the chickenpox at the same time. They were miserable and had the pox everywhere. For some reason I didn't get it. Not sure why since I had been exposed to it. Can one get it without any of the symptoms? Curious ... will jot it down to ask my Dr the next time I have a check-up.

Bonnie, I hope your grandbaby is doing better now.

I can identify with the 6 weeks of pox.  4 year old brought them home from preschool, and like a good big brother gave them to his 2 yr old brother who broke out 2 weeks later.  Then the baby, just 7 months old got them 2 weeks later.  I was told the same thing about immunity, but he had them the worst.  He's 27 now and still has scars on his face.  luckily, I was a stay-at home mom at the time - and was I ever STAY-AT-HOME MOM for 6 weeks.  It's amazing what you can endure when you have to!

Chicken pox and mumps went through my elementary school when I was in first grade.  I was out for 2 weeks with the chicken pox, back to school for 1 day, then out 2 more weeks with the mumps.  Since my mom worked, my aunt's house across the street was the "sick" house, and ours was the "healthy" house.  My poor aunt had her 3 and me to care for, and then she got the mumps, too, and my granddaddy came to take care of us all.

I got the shingles vaccine last year, as my doctor said it was one vaccine she does recommend.  Too young for insurance to pay for it, so I plunked down my own money.  I do NOT want to get shingles!

Archived