Need help quilting with Aurifil on George

daviesla

I am really struggling trying to quilt with Aurifil on my George. I've been trying to use the 40wt on the 1000m cone. I got a large 5000m cone of 40wt when I purchased my machine and haven't had any trouble. It is just with the small cones. 

When I am quilting, especially when I am going slower to stitch in the ditch, it will skip a stitch here and there. Sometimes I get a single loopy stitch when I'm quilting pebbles. 

I'm not trying to be smart, but I don't think this problem has to do with the way I move the quilt. I've quilted successfully with Omni, So Fine, Sulky, and even small cones of Mettler with no trouble.

I think the problem has to do with the way the thread pulls off the cone, but I can't figure out how to fix it. I've changed needles, experimented with tension both on the top and bottom. I've put a net around the cone. I've tried putting the cone in a glass (recommended to me by my local quilt shop), and I've even rigged up a horizontal thread holder. Nothing seems to work.

Very frustrated! Help!

Laura

I was going to suggest try a horizontal thread holder but you have done that.  What about raising the thread on the pin so that the top of the spool is at the same height as the cone.

Can you work out where it is actually breaking?  don't pull thread when it breaks just follow along the thread path.

I always had trouble using Aurifil on my domestic so gave up on it there.  Haven't tried my cone samples on my longarm yet.

Hm, I could try raising it up. It isn't actually breaking, just skipping a single stitch every few inches when stitching in the ditch, but not on pebbles. I might get a single loopy stitch every 5 minutes on the pebbles. Don't think I'll be using Aurifil again in my longarm

Somewhere in the thread path it is possibly catching on something, the end of the spool, thread spindle itself.  If the loop is on the top it sounds like  the top thread could need to be a bit tighter.

OR instead of wrapping the thread through the guide just above the tension  down up down the thread.  I find this is especially so with KingTut or cotton threads.

Thanks Busy Quilting, I have tried tightening the top tension until I see the bobbin thread coming through. Have also tried threading it through like you said. Still no luck. Going to change the needle again and raise the thread cone to see what happens. Fingers crossed

Hi Laura:

Our fingers are crossed for you too.  It's difficult to figure out why you can run this thread successfully when it's on a larger cone but not when it is on a smaller cone.  I'm just throwing out a few ideas here...Maybe it is catching on something at the top of the cone?  Have you tried putting the cone on the machine upside down?  

I agree with Sue that you might try a larger size needle for skipped stitches. Do the loops on the pebbles always occur when you're sewing in the same direction?  Or maybe it Is time to try dunking the thread spool in mineral oil?  There has been some recent discussion about this on the forum.  I've found it helpful with some threads.

This has nothing to do with how to get this thread running in your George but when I read your post, the first thing that hit me was the fact that you are choosing a 40 weight thread for ditch stitching and pebbles.  Since I normally use a very thin thread for both these purposes, I just wondering if you could share why you choose such a thick thread for these areas.  It's always interesting to learn how others make their design decisions.

Hope you can solve this issue, Laura.  Please keep us posted.  Nancy in Tucson

I switched to a 3.5 needle, but that made it worse. Did raise the cone and that seems to have helped a bit. Not so much looping, but still a few skipped stitches, but only on straight lines. Feather quilt perfectly. 

As to your question Mrs A, I like using 40wt. I never thought of using a lighter weight for stitch in the ditch, but it does make sense now that I think about it. Since, I work on a sitdown, I try to stitch in the ditch as I go, in between whatever filler I am using. I like it when the quilting stands out a bit better. Hopefully you can see in this pic, how I am 'ditching' as I quilt the other designs:)

post-51563-0-62921900-1394720617_thumb.jpg

Try turning the spool of Aurifil over. It has a different twist than American or Japanese threads so feeds off the spool in the opposite direction. I LOVE Aurifil thread for its luxurious look. I've quilted fine textured backgrounds with the 50wt Aurifil with no problems.

Love your quilting, Laura!  Your feathers are beautiful, the slightly curved crosshatching, the parallel lines in the triangles & rectangles.  What a great job!  I understand what you're saying about doing the ditching as you do the fills.  I quilt on a George too but I usually ditch the whole quilt (patchwork & appliqué) before going back in to do the feathers & fills.  I tend to change threads a lot so that works for me.  It also lets me remove the pins or the thread basting before I get to the really dense stuff.

When you switched to the 3.5 needle, was that a smaller needle or a bigger needle than what you first tried?  I'm just thinking that if needle flex is the issue, a larger needle might help with that.

In any case, I hope the thread starts behaving…you are doing beautiful work on that quilt!   Nancy in Tucson

Thanks for the compliments:) I tried turning the cone upside down, but it kept catching on the edge of the spool. Funny how the problem is sorting itself out toward the end of the day. It seems much better, but I haven't really changed much. I started with a 4.0 needle yesterday. Moved down to a 3.5, but the skipping was much worse. Now I'm back up to a new 4.0. I get the occasional skipped stitch, usually right on a seam when I'm 'ditching', but not nearly as bad. Seems like it has gotten better as I've used up more of the cone. Bearable at least to finish this quilt. Think I'm going to stick to Omni from now on. Thanks for all the advice!

• 1 month later...

Check and see if the thread is wrapped in the same direction for the small cone and the large cone.  I've noticed some threads wrapped oposite to the usual direction (unwrap clockwise) don't work as well.  Glide unwraps counter clockwise, so doesn't work as well for me.  Maybe that what you've run into.  Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Archived