Brian Haggard, Crazy Quilted Memories

Have any of you seen the book by the above author and title?  This guy makes beautiful vintage looking crazy quilts.  He starts with a vintage photo copied on fabric, then crazy quilts around it, ages the fabrics, and uses vintage looking trims, buttons, hand embroidery, silk ribbon, etc.  They are gorgeous!  He has really inspired me to try new things and has reminded me that there are no quilt police and no rules!   I am going to try it, starting with a vintage looking emb. design instead of a photo this time.  He is also a guest star on episode 1106 on, "The Quilt Show," with Ricky Timms, but you have to be a paid member on the website to see it.  BTW, he also lays things, such as vintage sewing tools and buttons, on his scanner, and makes his own fabric this way, to use in his projects!

Hi Peggy, I have this book and here is what I created with his inspiration... It is actually a collage fabric book. My Mother is in all the pictures. The one with the four ladys are my Mother the baby, my Grandmother holding her, Great-grandmother & Great-great Grandmother. There are actually 16 pages, but can't post that many. This was a lot of fun to do and I would love to try his techniques on a quilt.

post-62102-0-71231000-1394832590_thumb.jpgpost-62102-0-28805700-1394832596_thumb.jpgpost-62102-0-48792600-1394832603_thumb.jpgpost-62102-0-11097700-1394832928_thumb.jpg

Tina, I love your project, your use of lace, buttons, trim, even a hook and eye!  It is beautiful, inventive, creative!!  I am making a pillow cover for my first try.  I started with an machine embroidered vintage flower cart full of flowers.  Yesterday I pieced the crazy pieces all around.  Today I am adding hand emb. and buttons, etc.  My hand emb. looks really looks like it is done by a beginner, but that is okay.  It is really fun.  Did you sew on the lace, sewing it into the surrounding seams?  Did this make your seams too thick?  How did you print the words, such as, "Mother," on the ribbon and fabric?"   I am going to check out Brian's blog.

Rita, how are you doing?

Peggy, Thank you for the compliments. I hope you will post pictures when you finish your pillow cover. Yes, everything is sewn on... mostly by hand because it needed to be "handmade" and hand stitching enhances the nostalgia of the whole theme. Everything was printed through a normal inkjet printer... the words just being done on a wordprocessor. Another page that I didn't post, has a dated year above the picture and I actually stamped it with rubber stamps and an ink pad. You could do that with the words too if you wanted.

Brian lives in Indianapolis- where I am and he is fantastic. Very talented, inspirational, and a great speaker. I highly recommend him.

Gosh Vickie you are only an hour and a half from me!  I am in Scottsburg and Barb (Fastquilts) is in Crothersville! 

Archived