Millie feels like machine gun

Could someone who owns a millennium let me know if their machine feels like a machine gun when they are quilting with it. I have bliss and 2008 Millennium and use stitch regulator.  It feels like I am driving a machine gun that is being shot.  Is there something wrong with my machine or is it supposed to be like this?

Mary

Please explain what the machine is doing. Is it jerky? Does it feel the same when it's in manual mode? There is some vibration when stitching, but it shouldn't feel like a machine gun. 

My Millie with Bliss is very smooth to drive. In SR with several hours of quilting at a time I may get some tingling in my hands from the vibration, but nothing like a machine gun.

My first thought is the hopping foot height.  If the machine moves great when not quilting, but feels like a jackhammer when quilting on fabric, it could be that the foot is just a bit too low for the project you are working on.  Normally, the lower the foot is set, the better off you'll be as far as directional tension issues go.  In this case, though, we should check to make sure the foot is not hitting the needle plate.  Also, check to make sure the ring that is at the bottom of the foot is level - sometimes, if you get a little too close to a ruler or hit a really thick seam, it can cause the ring to bend a bit so it is not sitting level.  This also can cause the 'jackhammer' effect.  You can gently bend the foot back up to level if that is the issue.

You should have the adjustment instructions in your manual that came with your machine, but if you need me to e-mail them to you, send me a quick note, and I'll get it out right away!  amy@apqs.com

Happy Quilting

Thanks for all the great info.  I cleaned the wheels, changed the needle and let Millie rest overnight and today no machine gun.  So I don't know which item fixed it but we are back to working "blissfully".  That is what I like about this great bunch of ladies on this forum ask a question and you gets lots of helpful information.

Thanks again.

Mary

Archived