Quilt Top Smells Like Smoke

Ladies,

I am a non-smoker in a non-smoking home.  I have taken in a quilt from a lovely 81 year old lady who has made her very first quilt and it reeks of smoke.  I don't want to smell up my studio and I don't want it to leave a permanent smell on my leaders.  I have had it hanging in my garage while I finished some quilts that I had ahead of it but it still smells like smoke.  Any suggestions, I am not sure what to do.  I want to do this quilt for this lovely lady but I don't want to deal with the smell.

Mary

Very good topic; however sad it is. I am just taking on customers and am thankful for this "heads-up" sort of delema. Should I include "Smoke-Free Quilts Only" on my brochure? Or just mention this in phone convos or in meetings? The smell of cigarette smoke lingers and I also, cannot stand the odor. Thank you, Mary for starting this topic! Good luck with your decision!

There are many solutions to removing the smoke odor, but Febreeze and other scented dryer sheets add a layer of scent to mask the odor, not remove it. Yuck! Your customer doesn't know it's stinky because she lives with it every day. Yes, the smell will linger on your leaders. Yes, you'll be half-sick while quilting it.

I assume her backer and batting are stinky too? You can offer to launder it for her, but charge a fee for the washing and also the pressing after. It can be soaked in a tub with soap first and then place in a mesh bag to avoid a lot of fraying for a full trip in the washing machine. I'd throw it outside on a sheet-covered section of lawn out of direct sun to let it air-dry. That will help a lot with the smell and keep additional fraying to a minimum. Otherwise returning the top may be your only option.  :(

Clotilde carries a smoke odor remover that really works. I have used it for years. I realize this an expense, but well worth it. I put the piece in a bag and mist this solution into the bag. Leave overnight then remove let air for a while and voila.

Wel Annie's (new name for Clotilde) does not carry this item. It is out there some where though Sorry

ginny

As sweet as people can be, I can not deal with the smell of cig smoke!  I am allergic to the stuff.  I'd have to return it to her sweet or not!  I went to a quilting weekend to see projects hung that were very special.  The idea was the quilter could be called on to teach classes.  There were about 4 quilts that stunk like an ashtray.  It was funny because I did not have to read who constructed them.  And....she is the cutest, sweetest thing ever!  But, she is hooked!!!!  Sad, isn't it.  But to be fair, she probably doesn't like my perfume!!!!

I had a really bad one. Hung it over teh shower rod in the unused bathroom, put two big bowls of baking soda in there for a couple weeks, then put a clean linen air freshener in there and closed the door.  A week later I could stand to work on it. Still smelled a bit, but not so nauseating as when it arrived

Here, in the winter when it is freeeezing cold, I hang odorous items and quilt tops that get brought to me to work on out over the clothsline for a day or two.  Quilt tops get draped over two or three lines and a king flat sheet over it to protect it. The freezing cold fresh air absolutely does wonders removing smoke for some reason.  It works best when it's very cold.  (I can hardly believe I am touting a benefit to all this godforsaken cold we've had this year ;) )  But it does work.  I wonder if putting in a freezer for a day and then tumbling in the dryer on no heat, and repeating if needed, would work?

I've only entered a couple contests, but those rules state that a quilt will not be accepted if it smells.   We had a lady in our group years ago who smoked...........she did beautiful work, but when she would bring something for Show & Tell, the order was terrible.......too bad.   

Be very careful.

I requilted an old top for MIL a while back that was uber stinky.

Smoke and various other yucky human odors.

I washed it before disassembling it (it was originally tied).

Then aired out the flimsy for a few days outdoors.

I thought I had it all out and I removed the old backing and batt.

I really thought it was better, it seemed like I did.

But once I brought it inside, loaded it & started stitching, it started stinking again.

And the only thing left was the laundered & aired out flimsy...everything else was new, back and batt!

It was only on my frame for 1 day & left an odor on my leaders & in my basement where I work.

I was able to get it out with lotsa febreeze & fans, but it was a pain.

As an ex smoker, I'm very sensitive.

But even the hubs could smell it.

Just a warning...don't rush.

Archived