matching thread

This might be a basic question, but I'm curious how you all approach this:  I have been in the habit of matching my bobbin thread to my quilting thread, to avoid the "pokies."  But I just had a customer object to this and ask me to remove the stitching that doesn't match her backing fabric.  It bothers her to have the thread so different in color from the backing.  The back in black, the front is off-white, and she doesn't understand why I can't match the thread to the fabric.  We are going to try to come to a compromise, but before I stick to my guns, I wanted to query you all and see if you have any suggestions.  I just haven't been able to balance my tension closely enough to make a two-color quilting work.  I will, of course, do everything I can to make her happy, but not at the cost of my own comfort level.  Help?

Does she understand that sometimes two different colors will still possibly show in the stitching holes as well as when you change directions because during quilting the tension changes and even with thicker batting it sometimes happens that you can see the other color…?  I would ask if she approved of the thread colors before you quilted?  If so, I would have her remove the quilting and then tell her you would be happy to quilt it again using two colors as long as she is aware that sometimes the other thread will show here and there…another way to look at it is…is she asking you to remove the quilting and then taking it to someone else to quilt again?  Is she looking for a discount?

If you are going into business I know that you want her to be happy because quilters talk but if she is very difficult to please I would do everything within reason to help her to be happy with the quilting but I would hesitate to take on one of her quilts again to avoid this kind issue in the future...

These kinds of customers are unfortunately what helps us to build thick skins….keep us posted on how this goes….

You may want to make a quick sample of how two colored threads will look - especially on the back of the quilt.  It doesn't have to be large just enough to give her a visual on how that will look.  Sometimes seeing an actual sample is more convincing then trying to tell someone.

Thanks for the suggestions.  She didn't bring the quilt to me originally, sending it with a friend instead and we talked about the quilting threads then and her friend approved.  I did decide to make a sample this morning before she comes, to show her what it looks like to match the thread to the fabrics instead of to each other.  I was afraid that maybe the problem is with my inexperience..maybe EVERYONE matches thread to the fabrics!  She was nice about the request, said she hated to call me about it, and seems amenable to working out a solution.  I'll keep you posted as to how it works out.  Thanks again.

If she didn't bring the quilt herself and talk to you personally, I don't see that she has anything to complain about.  The friend approved it, so the issue should be with her friend, not you.   

Next to IMPOSSIBLE to use contrasting threads and not have one of them show through like a pokey. 

I had the same problem with a recent customer and went ahead and did the two color option and she was not pleased with the results even though the pokies were far between.  The last quilt I did for her, I just put monopoly in both top and bottom with her approval.

Archived