Bernina quilting foot

msdit75

It seems that when I am using my quilting foot to stitch a straight line and I stop (with the needle down) and start up again the next stitch 'jumps to the right' causing my line to be uneven.  I am also experiencing the feeling that the foot is wandering too much.  I just finished a baby quilt with no problems, but today when I started my new quilt project these problems started.  Any advice?

Is the weight of the quilt supported?  It could be that the weight of your quilt is pulling on the needle and that is causing the jump in the stitches when you begin to sew. If you don't have a large enough flat surface to the left of your machine try lowering an ironing board to the height of you sewing table and place it next to the table so that you can support your quilt.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Sue is likely correct.  I have worked with Bernina machines (used to sell them) for many years.  If the weight of your project is supported on the left and behind the machine, you should be able to keep a straight line.  Also, do you have a "straight stitch plate" on?  This needle plate does not come with the machine but rather is an additional accessory.  Which machine model are you using?

Bigger quilts are more difficult to manage…that's why we all quilt easily on a 16" practice square but free motion becomes much more challenging on a larger quilt sandwich.

Sue is correct…when quilting at a sit-down machine, any type of DRAG IS YOUR ENEMY.  The key is to support the weight of the entire quilt on your table (or adjacent tables).  Some people fold or roll a larger quilt; most of us puddle or pool the quilt so that we can work on a small, supported section at a time but all of the surrounding quilt is resting on the table.  Some find it helpful to use a tool: either Sharon Schamber's hoops or the Martelli rings to help your hands control movement of the quilt sandwich without strain or fatigue.  On the smaller DSM (as opposed to George) you need to make sure that the quilt sandwich is not getting hung up at the base of the machine, either.  That's why extra throat space gives you such an advantage.

Lucy gives good advice too.  A straight stitch throat plate will help make a better stitch quality during free motion.

Try thinking about starting very slowly and taking your first stitch in the same hole before moving on.  It takes awhile to master starts & stops.  You'll get it!   Nancy in Tucson

I have an old  Bernina - a 1530.  .  And you are correct.  I did not have support on the left for my quilt.  Most of the time it wants to be in my lap and I have heard this is not a good thing .  I will get a table today and see how that works.  Thanks.

Hi..don't know your name.

Does your machine sit down in the table (sewing surface even with table surface) or on top of the table? Sinking it into the table or cabinet is huge.  Just that 3" differential of the machine on top of the table can create major drag on the quilt sandwich.  But your machine itself is terrific.  I use my  Bernina 1530 almost every day.  I quilted on my 1530 for many years…even king sized quilts!  It is much more difficult physically on a DSM (I developed a lot of pain in my shoulders & upper arms) but it can be done and done well.  If you hold the quilt in your lap (or sling it over your shoulder) there must still be some 'play' in the part that is on the bed of the sewing machine so that you can move it freely.

It's a pleasure to quilt on George now…still sitting down and moving the fabric under the needle but with a substantial table space and a 20" throat.

Please let us know how you do with our suggestions.  Best, Nancy in Tucson

Hi Nancy

My name is Pat.  My 1530 sits down in my table with a Lexan top.  I  am going to change the throat plate this weekend and see how that does .  I did quilt a queen size quilt for my husband and had to roll the quilt and throw it across my shoulder....it turned out fairly nice.  I have quilted some baby quilts using the darning foot and moving the fabric but my stitches were not all that good, some long, some perfect.  I can not even imagine using my 1530 for a king size quilt.  I was told by quilt guild member that all that can be done on my 1530 is straight stitching, so I just stick to that type stitching now.  I have to say I love my 1530 and wouldn't trade it for anything other than a longer arm machine.  Thanks for your input.

Pat in Texas

Hi Pat.  Thanks for sharing your name with us.

Whaaaaat?  Don't listen to your Guild member.  The 1530 is one of the best machines Bernina ever made (they stopped making them in 1997).  I have 3 of them!  They do make a beautiful straight stitch (unlike the 1630 which has wider set feed dogs) but the programmed embroidery stitches are great too.  I use mine mostly for blanket stitching on fusible appliqués (using the Sue Nickels/Pat Holly techniques) because I have a Brother 1500S which is awesome for piecing, paper piecing & applying bindings due to its pin feed feature (like a built in walking foot).

I do my quilting on my buddy George.

You have a good set up for your machine (dropped in a table) and some experience under your belt.  The single hole throat plate (for straight stitching) may help with the free motion stitching. As far as I know, there are 3 types of free motion (darning) feet for the old style Berninas.  I prefer the small, open toe one for quilting on my machine.  I'm pretty sure I had to purchase it separately.  Which foot are you using?

I'm assuming that you are fairly new to machine quilting but you've had good experience with the baby quilts and that queen size one.  The hardest things to learn in free motion on a domestic machine are starts & stops and developing a pace that results in consistent stitch length.  Some of that comes with practice, practice, practice.  I once heard a famous quilter (who quilts on a Bernina) say that it took her 300 hours to teach her machine to free motion quilt.  I think she is about right…it takes most people a 300 hour investment before they become confident and proficient at machine quilting.  Keep at it, take frequent breaks to rest your eyes and relax your shoulders.  You're just going to get better and better at this!  Nancy

Thanks Nancy.  I only have one 'stitch plate' for my 1530.  There is a slotted hole and a small hole in this one plate.  I sew in the slotted hole all the time and do not know how to access the 'single hole' position you recommend for quilting.  I have read my Instruction Manual but, so far, have not been able to find how to get my needle into position to  use the single needle hole .  Any advice on that?

I have made a couple of baby quilts using my #9 darning foot that came with the 1530, but had difficulty keeping my stitches uniform so went back to straight stitching again.  I am sure it is just me and not having (or taking)  I time to practice, practice, practice.

I have the oldest Bernina in my quilt guild.  Almost all of them have the 'top of the line' Bernina's .

Thanks for your input.

Pat in Texas

Pat,

The stitch plate with the single hole is one that you purchase from your Bernina dealer and just switch out with the one that came with your machine. Just remember to change back again before you use a zig zag or decorative stitch or you will get a rude awakening and a broken needle!  I use one when I am piecing as the fabric doesn't get pulled into the needle hole on the plate.  Your machine probably works better than some of the newer models.  My older Bernina is much more reliable than the newer one.

I'm with Sue on the older Berninas…I've had newer models & sold them off…there IS such a thing as too many bells & whistles.  I LOVE my 1530.  It will do so much more for you than just straight stitch quilting.  I suggest that you take some machine quilting classes at a local shop or start with a machine quilting book by Sue Nickels.  And practice, practice, practice of course.

I don't know of anyone who sat down at a machine and was an instant master at free motion.  You really do have to put in the time if you want to get good at it.

When you are purchasing the single hole throat plate from your Bernina dealer, you might want to consider also buying a #24 foot (old style).  It is the same as your #9 darning foot but with a cut out in the front (open toe) so that you can better see where you are going.  This is helpful when you need to stitch right on a line (like outlining appliqué, stitching in the ditch or quilting a pattern that requires backtracking like feathers).

We're here to support you, Pat.  One nice thing about the APQS forum is that it is inclusive.  You can take advantage of great advice from wonderful quilters (and neat people) here no matter what your skills or what machine you're quilting on.  Best, Nancy in Tucson

I will go to my local Bernina dealer and see if she can get me a 'single hole throat plate'.  I am glad to know I need to buy one as I was starting to think I was just missing it , over and over, in my book.  I will also ask her to get me a #24 foot (old style) and make me some practice sandwich blocks to practice on.  I can see that an open toe would allow a better view of the quilting area .  I truly want to thank everyone that has given me information on this forum.  There is so much to learn about machine quilting. 

I will also try to find a copy of Sue Nickels machine quilting book.  I am just blown away by what I do not know .  You all make It is easier to ask questions here than at my guild meetings because I always feel like I am the only one there that doesn't know anything - I am sure this is not so, but I feel like it. 

I am going to follow all your advice and I will get back to you all later and let you know how I am progressing.  Again, Thanks

Pat in Texas

Pat, you have been given some great advice.  Other than Emmeline (my 2011 Freedom SR), my "youngest" machine is my Bernina 930 that I bought in 1984.  (I also have 2 Featherweights.)  I can't even imagine how fancy your 1530 is compared to my Bernina, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. 

I also learned about the straight-stitch throat plate after I started quilting, as well as the open-toe darning foot, and they did make life easier.  Classes at a quilt shop that was also a Bernina dealer really helped me learn about my machine, and that was 12-15 years after I got it, so it definitely was not top of the line anymore!

One trick I use is to tape a piece of colorful paper over my stitch width dial (yes, I have an actual dial for this) when I am using my straight-stitch throat plate.  That way, I can't change the stitch width or needle position without moving the paper, and then I remember to change my throat plate, too.

You are right about this forum being a great place to ask questions.  I have learned a lot from the generous and knowledgeable members here!

Thanks Betsy.  Wow a 930.  I was fortunate that my sister-in-law let me buy her Bernina 1530 about 15 years ago when she upgraded and I have never been disappointed.  I admit I have never had any classes to get to know all the ins-and-outs if this great machine.  Maybe someday.

I love your advice to put a piece of tape on the stitch width knob.  I will certainly do that because I'm sure I will forget and break my needle.

Pat in Texas

Pat, I did most of my early sewing on my mom's Bernina 830 she got around 1973.  Truth be told, I used it more than she did!  So when I got my very own Bernina, I thought I knew everything.  NOT!!  Even now, I have to check the manual every so often, and discover something new in the process.  I think classes from a dealer would be really helpful for you, or maybe you could find some tutorials on You Tube.

Also, if you'd like some Bernina inspiration, check out Lori Kennedy's In Box Jaunt blog. She does fantastic free motion tutorials, and has lots of good ideas, all on DSM Berninas without stitch regulation.  Someone else posted a link to her blog a couple of months ago, and I have been loving it!!

Great Betsy.  I will look up Lori Kennedy's in Box Jaunt  blog .  I would love to see someone doing free motion on a Bernina that does not have stitch regulation.   I have been looking at a website,   of Leah Day, and get weekly newsletters on how to do free motion quilting, but haven't tried any of her tutorials yet.   Even tho I look at it I am not all that sure I can do it.  When I get a better foot and single hole throat plate I am going to try out some of her samples and for sure I will look at Kori's website.

Thanks for the information Betsy.

Pat in Texas

Archived