crazy quilt embellishment

I have been messing around with crazy quilting.  My question is this:  If you are going to embellish a seam in the quilt with a ribbon like trim, do you sew it on BEFORE you sew on the adjoining pieces?  Therefore the ends of the trim are sewn into the seams on the sides.  This makes the seams thick.  Is this a problem?  If I sew the trim onto the seams AFTER the piece is made, then I have to deal with the raw ends of the trim, which, if folded over and sewn on, make a big lump.  Just not sure how to do this.  I hope this makes sense.  Any advice appreciated!  Thanks all.

Been having to do only handwork.  I have been going to physical therapy for my neck and it is very painful.  I come home and my muscles all spasm for days until it is time to go again in 3 days.  Have been doing this for a month now.  Don't know how much more of this I can take.  This is a good time for me to learn hand embroidery, I think!  I got some emb. thread and a hoop and I did some stitching on a crazy quilt pillow cover.  For a first try, it is not too bad.  I think I am hooked!   Also knitting hats on a loom for "Hats for Hope."  They donate hats, scarves, and mittens for the homeless and poor, and have chapters all over the world now.  It is a worthwhile organization!  What I have found is that there is always a charity that needs our work, whether it be by hand or machine!!

Did you know that there are girls in Africa that cannot go to school during their period because they have no access to sanitary pads?  There is an organization that makes soft flannel san. pads, puts them in pretty bags, and sends them to Africa.  These are so quick and easy to make!  This is something I plan to do in the future.

So sorry to read about your neck problems and pt. But I'm glad you have found a creative outlet while you try to heal.

Logically, I'd think that sewing an edge of ribbon trim into a seam would add another layer underneath. But if you sew the ribbon trim on top with the trim edge folded under, you still have that extra layer on top deal with---except it's now on top instead of underneath. If it's appropriate because of the configuration of the trim, sew it into the seam.

Here's a link to a great crazy quilting blog.

http://pintangle.com/

Archived