Thread and Needle Charge

I have another business charge question.  As my business is finally starting to get off the ground, I am trying to decide what I am going to charge for when I am quilting for people.  I know that if I use a special thread I will charge but what about just everyday edge to edge quilting do we charge for the thread on those quilts.

What is the norm?  How do most of you do it?

Mary

I don't charge separately for thread unless it's a specialty thread (e.g.metallic).  Thread is just one of several consumable supplies, like electricity or oil for the machine, and it's included in my fees.  Itemizing everything takes time, and time is money. That being said, if I have numerous thread changes on a quilt, I charge for each colour used after the first two. 

I charge $2 per bobbin used, just as Liz does. That covers replacement cost and allows me to have a nice inventory of thread to choose from. 

Another thing I started doing last year is charging by the hour for "difficult" quilts. It's hard to estimate a cents-per-inch on something that requires intricate quilting or extensive think time. We all seem to complain about a bad dollars-per-hour on extensive custom work and I hope this will help balance things out.

I also charge $2 per bobbin.  I mainly do E2E and some of them are quite intense/difficult (talking about panto's)..so the harder ones take more thread than the easier more open designs.  This helps to even out the cost for clients.  If I do custom, then I charge the same per bobbin cost plus $5 per thread color change. 

Machine needles and other maintenance things for your machine, don't charge for them.  That is just part of doing business.  

I don't have a thread charge for regular thread. And I don't charge for needles either. I can usually do 3-4 quilts or more with the same needle unless I begin to hear ticks.

All of my pantos dense or loose are the same price, but simple loose stippling or meandering is a bit cheaper. 

Dense or over the top custom I now charge by the quilt.

Congratulations and Good Luck!

Terry

I don't charge for thread, it's built in to my cents per inch charge.  But like Barbara above, I do charge for extra colors after the first two - it's $5 for each additional color.  That's more to cover the time that begins to be involved for multiple thread changes, not so much the thread itself.

In revamping my paper work for the business,  I am looking back to when I had the ceramic shop.

Anything that goes home with the product is charged for.  Charges also encountered that do not

go home on the product, like needles are my responsibility.  Any usable product such as a ruler, if

damaged so it affects the use, are pro-rated.

I am also going to start using the bobbin fee, plus 3 or more thread changes, and of course for specialty thread.

I don't know why it is suddenly so important to have those things clear in my mind. lol   Maybe I just woke upl.

Rita.

Archived