The Last Quilt

Well, I've completed my last quilt on my Gammill Longarm. We have to move, again. And we have decided it is time I truly do retire. It is so hard to admit you are getting older, that your health isn't what it used to be. But, finally, I have realized I just can't do the quilting work anymore. My husband and I have decided to downsize our footprint tremendously.

A couple of years ago his brother passed away rather unexpectedly. He left a bewildered widow, so deep in sorrow and grief we wondered how she would ever go on. She has struggled with letting go of all of his "big boy" toys and collectables. It seemed it tore her heart out with each item that had to go. My husband and I looked at each other in stunned disbelieve as we looked at our own state of personal holdings. He admitted he would have no idea of the value or how to dispose of my things, and me ditto for his. We didn't want either of us to have to sort through the mountain of the other should one of us pass away. A very sobering thought at the least.

I am selling my longarm, all of my tools, and my stash of fabrics. I tried to sell these things myself for the past 6 months or so with no success. So in desperation I turned to an on-line auction to "dispose" of these items. At the time of this post I have 7days and 5hours until the whole lot goes to the highest bidder. Will I get a decent price on the machine? As my husband said, "At this point it just has to go. We need to move on, without this position." So if you want to see what happens, are curious about the process, or want to bid on it yourself. Here is the link to the auction. Someone is going to get a heck of a deal!

It is bitter sweet, have to kiss my "Baby" goodbye. It has been so much fun. Loved meeting some of you in person. Loved talking to you here. All of you take care. Kay

www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=77553

I commend you for looking down the road and trying to make things easier for the one who is left.   Many times my DH will say.........."if something happens to me, call............he will know what to do with my stuff" and I have in turn told him the same thing.  It will still be hard to do and I hope we will realize at some point that we need to deal with these things ourselves.   I don't want to dump it all on my kids either.  

Good luck to you both............... :)

Okay, I'm in the midst of downsizing, but NO, not my machine.  OMG  Hugs to you.  It's hard enough to downsize,  We're redoing our basement and we're going to live down there, and rent out the upstairs (3 bedrooms)  We live on 15 acres, have a huge shop and our daughter lives in a mobile on our property.  No one wanted to move, except me,  cause I don't want to have to clean a huge house anymore.  So the old folks,  get to move to the one level.  Sure was fun going out and getting new appliances etc., but the gyproc dust is awful.  

Please know that I appreciate your downsizing,  It is hard, but so much better that you get to do it, rather than the kids or spouse.  Hope you sell everything for a decent price.  

Hugs to you, Kay, for looking down the road and making decisions now to simplify your life. It's wrenching to let go of favorite toys and tools, but you've been thoughtful and thank goodness you and your hubby are on the same page.

My DH has two shops and a hangar and I have a studio and a sewing room---all full of wonderfulness. He considers all the goodies to be part of our retirement fund. When we're too old to play with the toys, they'll be sold without a second thought. You can mourn the thought that you "can't" (missing the days of quilting), but wave goodbye happily as those toys find new homes. The real reward is security and a smooth road ahead to spend time in travel or with family. I applaud your decisions.

You are making such a wise decision Kay.  Elmer passed away over a year ago and I still feel pretty lost when I look at his things. I have way too much house and land to handle alone so the best solution was to turn the basement into a 2 bedroom apartment and rent it out.  I have often thought I should have moved down there and rented out the top 2 floors instead because it is still far too much house for just me.  I haven't sold Elmer's "toys" yet but know I should. I'm not sure I will ever be ready to let them go though. As hard as it is for you at least you will gain the comfort of knowing the surviving spouse won't have to deal with it on top of the grief.   (((((((HUGS))))))

Thanks to all of you. I'll keep in touch. We are located in Cibolo, TX 78108 That is between San Antonio and New Braunfels, TX.  For some reason I can't put the auction link here. Go to proxibid.com and search for Gammill Quilting Machine. I think I have the only one for sale there at this time. Hope this information helps. It will all be over soon. Then, life will go on. We are having to search for a new job for my husband. We will be selling our lovely home too. God be with us as we go through all of this one more time.

Bless you Kay for making the hard decisions now and not leaving them for someone dear to you to make later!

I have been the one that has always been there to give the needed care and there to clean the house up and get it ready to sell after everyone else has gotten the "treasures" they needed for their memories.  Today, on what would have been my Dad's 90th Birthday, I had the movers haul off all of the remaining stuff that I had itemized and boxed up for charity.  Between my parent's home on their farm that I cleaned and sold last year and their last home I have been cleaning and sorting the past 3 months, it is impossible to say how much I would have appreciated not having to spend days going through their stuff and doing with it what I think they would have wanted done.  It's emotionally exhausting!  

I turned 60 last fall and my husband, who is 61, has encouraged me to start giving away now so that by the time we're 70 we're living a life with the basics.  it's interesting how we spend so much of our life working hard so we can accumulate more, so we can spend time taking care of it, only to have to get rid of it later.  If I would have had the bigger perspective 25 years ago, I would have spent more time building relationships and less acquiring stuff.  

I wish you the best with downsizing and truly hope you enjoy the free time you will have after getting rid of some of your things.

Thank you Heidi. (((Hug))) It is for the best. I had a scare back in September with my heart and now just seem to need a lot more rest. It is the best decision. I'm so sorry for your loss of family. And you are right about taking more time to build relationships. It is comforting to get your heart and head going in the right direction. God bless you!

I don't mind downsizing as long as it isn't any of my stuff...lol.  Seriously I want to go through a few rooms and clean them out.  I don't think of that as downsizing as much as it is just plain cleaning out.  I'm in awe of your ability to get it done.  It's hard to get rid of things and change your housing too.  I've done it before, but I think I will just die with all my stuff and the kids can deal with it.  It won't be so hard for them because they aren't as attached to my stuff as I am.  I remember when my youngest son was around 8 years old or so he loved to sit on my bed and have me take out one of my dresser drawers and let him go through it.  He always found treasures.  It was a drawer I would empty my pockets and put the stuff in.  Sort of a "junk drawer".  I remember one time while watching him I thought about when I died I wanted him to go through my stuff because he would recognize the real treasures.  Now that he's grown I'm not so sure...lol.

Good luck to you and your new beginnings.

The auction for my quilting studio will close on Sunday night at 7:30 pm. It is so close, I have no idea to whom or for how much the items will go for. My contact at the auction company told me they often sell things like mine internationally. It could wind up anywhere. When it's all over, I have to disassemble the quilting stand for shipment. Who will show up at the door to claim the prize? Thank goodness the auction company will handle all the money and taxes. I have no desire to tackle that job. All bidders are verified before bids are accepted.

We have started packing for our move, about 1/2 done. I've sold a lot of our furniture, rugs and other household things and donated tons of stuff to charity. Hubby is a finalist for at least 5 different jobs (all over the US) and I feel like a "High Roller" in Vegas just waiting for our number to hit! This is the biggest "leap of faith" we have ever done! We have a realtor waiting in the wings to list our house for sale. That will happen when he lands a job. Then the long job of traveling to a new city, securing housing and making the move.

When change this big comes into your life all you can do is take a big breath and hang on for dear life! Makes me think of that scene in the Wizard of Oz when Dorothy's house is spinning around in the tornado. I just hope the house doesn't land on us!

Wish us luck. We think the final pieces will fall into place in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Then we will be on our way. I'll say one thing, being married to this man has never been dull. It's been a constant adventure. We have been together for 27 1/2 years at this point. Good thing I still love him!

Kay, I definitely understand the things you are going through...

I'm in the same position with the heart, and am scheduled for a heart Cath. on Mon.

Downsizing is always hard;.. I'm still in the process.. and eventually.  Well, I hope I am able

to do an admirable job before the need is right in my face.

Feeling rather maudlin,.,.  please, Please do stop by and say hi..   you would be missed badly

as others would should they just step off the edge of the roof.

God Bless,

Big HugZ,

Rita 

Kay, I admire your positive outlook on this new season of your life.  Some person is going to be so blessed by your quilting studio. May you find peace and joy in your new adventure. We sure hope you stop by from time to time to share this new life with us. 

You're not slowing down...you're moving on.  Totally different thing.  You're retiring, but your husband is changing jobs.  You will get to your new place and find that you now have time to do lots of things.  This is all good.  If you get the desire to do a quilt you can either hire it done or go rent time on a machine.  I can almost guarantee you that you have not done your "last" quilt.  Keep us posted on how things are going for you and we'll keep enticing you to make another masterpiece.

The master piece has been painted and is waiting to be pieced together. I had so wanted to get that one done before the machine was sold. But so many things got in the way. I've painted all the blocks for my Baltimore Album quilt. The same on the Daughters of the American Revolution Museum wanted to see when it was completed. We all have dreams, and that was just a small bit of mine.

The auction is over, my machine and accessories brought $6,750.

Archived