M&M wheels with Millie and Compuquilter

I am finally getting around to installing my M&M wheels on my 2007 Millie.  My system is cable driven and I have a Compuquilter.  I know that there is supposed to be a bolt or two that I will need to purchase from the hardware store because the bolts that are given aren't long enough, at least that is what I have read somewhere on the forum a year or so ago.  My question is for anyone who has done this already.  What bolts won't work and what size bolts do I need to buy at Home Depot?  We attempting to do this, but it's stressful.  Any hints or assistance would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you!

• 6 months later...

"Obsessed," don't feel lonesome.  I also am just getting around to putting my M&M wheels on my Millennium with CQ.  I've got an older Millie with the CQ cable system, too.  AND I've got some dumb questions about how to do this, if anyone has some time and kindness toward a clutzy old lady:

I've got what look like great instructions for replacing the actual wheels.  My problem is I can't get the Millennium head off the carriage.  There's a black box at the bottom back of the machine head, between the carriage bars, that has wires going in and out of it--they're too short to be able to get the head off the carriage.  They attach to the X-axis encoder at the back right of the machine.  I ran out of time last night in trying to do this, so my plan tonight is to remove the cover of the black box (it's as wide as the pipe spacer on the carriage is wide) and see what's under there.  I'm hoping there are connections I can disconnect with destroying my CQ.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about enough to reassure me that I'm on the right path with this?  Is it as simple as disconnecting whatever those mysterious connections are and rolling Millie off the carriage, setting her aside on something sturdy, removing the axles bolted to her, replacing those wheels then replacing the axles, then removing and replacing the wheels on the carriage?  Or am I missing an elephant in the room that I'd better feed?

Looking forward to any reassurance I can get!

(I can build computers from scratch and a pile of parts--you'd think this would be cake!  But noooooooooo . . . .)

Archived